DXS_SUPPORT=X for "Monolitic" Kernels (for via82xx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: DXS_SUPPORT=X for "Monolitic" Kernels (for via82xx Reply with quote

For the past few weeks I've been digging around trying to figure out how to pass "dxs_support=x" to my kernel, because everything is compiled into the kernel. There are numerous threads and such available for those using modules* but very little for my predicament, until I stumbled across this post Just to make the next persons search a little easier, I've decided to repost it in both forms, for monolithic and module kernels.

Monolithic
Code:
nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

Quote:
title=Gentoo Linux Current (2.6.10-r6)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda7 snd-via82xx=1,0,,-1,48000,4

Please note the part in BOLD as well as the Italicized part. The italicized poriton is the value you would (normally pass to DXS_SUPPORT=X; in this case 4. I'm not 100% sure what the different values are except that 0 is off, 1 is "on", 3 is 48K Fixed, and 4 seems to be variable (no clue on what 2 signifies). Experiment around to see which one works best for you.

Modular Kernels

Code:
nano -w /etc/modules.d/alsa

Quote:
# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
option snd-via82xx dxs_support=4

As you can tell you merely have to add the "option snd-....." line with the proper dxs_support setting.

I got it working, how can I help others out?

If you get dxs_support working with your card, you should run lspci -vv (-vv signifies "Very verbose") and grab the info provided by your card, and submit it to the linux-kernel mailing list with a header similar to "DXS_SUPPORT Addition to Whitelist (snd-via82xx)" similar to this guy so eventually our cards will be supported by default.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: