openoffice with xorg and ati
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amnesty_puppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: openoffice with xorg and ati Reply with quote

Openoffice (and ximian openoffice) crashes the x server whenever it is run, it seems to be the problem discussed and solved in this german thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=259829&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc but I can't quite understand the solution, something about xorg > 6.8 being masked, which I think I ignored to get the latest version and am now suffering for, since that section seems to be missing from my package.mask. What can I do to install an older version (6.7.0 is the version I need I think)?

Thanks, Dom.
frary
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that german thread the solution is downgrading xorg to <6.8 because of the incompatibility with the ati-drivers. Are you using them? There are new Drivers ( 8.8.25 ) that work with latest xorg, but I think they are still ~x86...I`m using them and it works, no openoffice problems.

T

I.Walter
amnesty_puppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an emerge --sync I still have this problem - trying to emerge ati-drivers give a block from opengl-update, which isn't installed and is required by ati-drivers...? I don't really understand what this means, I thought the block would be caused by opengl-update needing to be uninstalled?

Thanks
frary
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Problem seems to be fixed by unmerging the blocker ( ati-drivers ) and reemerging it after the world update. Worked for me and many others ( german forum ).

I`m not sure, what the exact Problem is, but there seems to ba a circular dependency...

T

I.Walter
amnesty_puppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harg! I did something similar, I just emerged both with --no-deps and it's working now, although the fonts on openoffice aren't great looking and it feels a little sluggish.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: