remote control
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: remote control Reply with quote

A remote control and usb infrared receiver came with my WinTV XP Pro tv tuner card. I am pretty sure I can get the remote working with lirc. I was wondering if I could get it to work with multiple applications (tvtime, mplayer, xmms, vlc, etc) and also use it to start these applications so I could (for example) start xmms or tvtime from across the room.
misho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get LIRC working, you can use a program called irexec comes with the lirc package and a ~/.lircrc or /etc/lircrc config file, to execute any command you want. mplayer itself, comes with built in lirc support (which i have never used). The documentation at lirc.org is pretty good at explaining all of this, including how to set up your config files.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I've got it partially working now. I'll have to look into modes later, too.
phsdv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid,

Did you get it working?

This weekend I managed to get LIRC working on my system with this very simple receiver http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html. At the moment I can control xmms with an old Sony remote control. I can also eject disks with help of irexec.

What I am looking for is to stop xmms and start (g)mplayer with this same remote. So I guess I need to define a button on the remote that tells irexec to stop xmms and start mplayer and vica versa. Is that how you did it?

Thanks,
Paul
nightmarez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your ~/.lircrc you can define actions specifically for one application. e.g.:

Code:

begin
               remote = avertv
               button = power
               prog   = xmms
               repeat = 0
               config = QUIT
               flags  = mode
end

so, only if the program is running the action will take effect.
phsdv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, next question. Can I give multiple commands? ie stop xmms and start mplayer with the same button?

Hmmm, just thinking about it, I could launch a script that checks the current status. If xmms is running it will be stopped and mplayer launched. And next time just the otherway around. The button on the remote would be linked to this script. Would that be the best way to do it?

I would prefere just to leave xmms and mplayer running and only change the mode of the remote. Maybe I have to find a remote that is capable of handling dvd, radio, cd etc. and sends out different codes depending on what you selected on the remote.
nightmarez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phsdv wrote:
Maybe I have to find a remote that is capable of handling dvd, radio, cd etc. and sends out different codes depending on what you selected on the remote.

this would be an option and i would like to know if it works with such a remote control. i use kde und irkick which allows you to set several actions for one button.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: