Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alsa and me dont like each other...(SOLVED!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invincible_777
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Alsa and me dont like each other...(SOLVED!) Reply with quote

I have got sound to work in linux maybe twice. The first time in Fedora core 1 (not FC2) and SuSE 9.2. I have always had problems with alsa..., It wont work no matter what I do!? I have a C-Media card, (and a AC' 97 build in sound card), but that doesnt support 4 channels. When I run alsaconf, it doesnt find the card (either) but when i run lspci, i get both, as well as dmesg. Plus, my alsa driver appently boots successfully at boot.

Can someone help me out, sound is to nice not to have, and I cant (wont) watch dvds without it!! :(

Last edited by Invincible_777 on Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tryed unmuteing your card?
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i´ve got an cmedia card, too, and i can only encourage you to use the OSS-drivers from www.opensound.com.
Alsa doesn´t support hardware-mixing with these cards, maybe there is a way to get this working with .asoundrc, but i wasn´t able to get it.
Now, with the OSS-Drivers, i´ve got hardware-mixed optical output and everything works ok.

PS: for getting software-mixing to work with alsa, have a look at this, it´s a very understandable guide.
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stahlsau wrote:
hi,
i´ve got an cmedia card, too, and i can only encourage you to use the OSS-drivers from www.opensound.com.
Alsa doesn´t support hardware-mixing with these cards, maybe there is a way to get this working with .asoundrc, but i wasn´t able to get it.
Now, with the OSS-Drivers, i´ve got hardware-mixed optical output and everything works ok.

PS: for getting software-mixing to work with alsa, have a look at this, it´s a very understandable guide.

from my understanding cmedia are software mixing only cards, thats how they cut down the chip realestate to fit on such small pci cards or onto the motherboards.
Invincible_777
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uh, got blasted!! I emerged all the alsa stuff, and I think unmerged the alsa-driver itself (I built it into my kernel...). Then I used alsamixergui to umute all I saw relevent. I found alsamixergui to be more helpful. I am SO happy. Thanks everyone!!
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem. the alsa team needs to change that. it's the bigest problem with people here, they are used to sound working the second you install the dirvers ala windows.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: