Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do you learn what the various KDE apps are and do?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckiraly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: How do you learn what the various KDE apps are and do? Reply with quote

So I'm relatively new to linux.

I have Ubuntu installed, and I have Gentoo installed now. (I used to have FC3 installed, but it didn't play nice at all with ext3 and /boot or /home - so I killed it and switched to reiserfs with ubuntu)

My Gentoo, I like so far, as it seems very fast. I loaded KDE 3.4 with a minimum install (based on the Wiki page).

My question is this... how do I learn what the various programs are in kde? For example, with FC3, I used Terminal Services to connect in to my work pc (windows), but I don't see terminal services as an option in the portage tree...

Is there a site/page that shows what the different apps are and do?

I guess that would apply for all of Gentoo Portage, and not just KDE, but I'm mainly looking at adding KDE stuff after the 3.4 install.

TIA -

- Chris
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like http://docs.kde.org/ Its a good start at least to see what kde-<package> has what programs. And, of course, there's the documentation, too. :)
ugly_orc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different ways to browse the applications in the portage tree. First, you can open your file manager in /usr/portage. In there, you will see all the categories and all the packages; then "emerge -s nameofpackage" will tell you more about a package. You can also use "emerge -S" (big s) to search for packages based on their description.

Then there is packages.gentoo.org. By default this site displays the recently updated packages. On the right, however is a small "categories" link that will let you browse online all the packages in portage.

And finally there are in portage a few portage frontend that will let you browse the packages with a gui. I personnaly use porthole (emerge porthole :)).

The only problem is that for most packages the description string is very short, and won't help you much :?. However there is always a link to the package's homepage. Hope that helps!
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend: http://gentoo-portage.com/

For more portage frontends look at: app-portage category - here http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=app-portage or just browse your local copy.
Levi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuroo is a nice portage-frontend that integrates nicely with kde.
But I agree with the ugly orc: The Descriptions are way too short.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: