Gentoo + speedtouch = :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaindu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Gentoo + speedtouch = :( Reply with quote

hi, i have a speedtouch 330 (silver) modem - which is meant to work on linux, but the installation is difficalt and dodgy. This is fine thought, but the installation requires pppd, zip, and a few other things - so as i had to install gentoo with no net, i dont have any of these things installed; and i cant install them because i havn't got net! If i try to emerge *anything* it will look for it on the net, and if i export PKGDIR=/mnt/cdrom with the package CD mounted, it will calculate the deps and then do the same thing. if i do emerge --usepkg *anything* it does the same.

im sure theres something im doing wrong - or something simple i can do but im not knowing or doing it.

also, i went out and got a 50GBP ethernet/USB combi modem - the only (at least half) ethernet modem in england, it seems. I thought it would work because it had an ethernet port, but noooo! its ethernet port worked as well as the win-modem-acursed-microsft-compalible USB port; not at all! It worked neither in gentoo or slackware - trying everything i could think of. so i took it back. so either im stuck with my speedtouch 330, or i need to get a real ethernet modem (not a microsoft one) and i cant find any! and i refuse to spend 150quid for a home network package that i dont need :evil: aaaahhh!!!

i have spoken lol,
die microsoft, die,

thanks for you help,
alaindu

Last edited by alaindu on Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this carefully for the PKGDIR/emerge problem: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2004.3/handbook-x86.xml?full=1. And I'm not sure what your other question is.
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo + speedtouch = :( Reply with quote

alaindu wrote:
die microsoft, die,
Slowly and painfully, preferably... or quickly and painfully... makes no difference to me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: