Boot problems, NOLAPIC but now no GUI?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defreats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Boot problems, NOLAPIC but now no GUI? Reply with quote

Okay I've just finished installing gentoo, my first hardcore distro. I had problems booting it initially as it was hanging with the error:

ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002

I fixed this by adding nolapic to the boot loader. It boots to a text-based screen and I can't get a gui up. Also the splash screen isn't showing at boot. It says:

"You passed an undefined mode number" during boot and gives me the option to press enter to see video modes available, or space to continue.

Pressing enter presents me with the following text:

Video adapter: VESA VGA
Mode: COLSxROWS

and gives me 6 options.

I chose 0 or the display is very squashed and it boots to my command prompt... what now? :)

Thanks in advance and go easy.. I'm a newbie
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot problems, NOLAPIC but now no GUI? Reply with quote

defreats wrote:
what now?

Try the other modes 1 - 5... duh.
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo built from scratch doesn't have a GUI. For that you need to emerge X11 and a windowmanager.
And for a start I would recommend leaving Bootsplash / FB out - those things are nice to have but not a must

Rei
defreats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the other modes to no avail. Changed my vga mode to 788 made it display better but still no GUI. I'm trying "emerge X11" now, then what? emerge gnome? Sorry to be a pain but I really wanna get this working tonight :)
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defreats wrote:
Sorry to be a pain but I really wanna get this working tonight :)

you're an optimist, right?

Try to get the box booting first and working on shell - them emerge xorg-x11 and configure it. The next step would be gnome / kde / whatever...
Then you can proceed with some apps.

Rei
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defreats wrote:
I really wanna get this working tonight :)

I do not know if it is morning or night in your part of the world (here, it is half morning half night now). But give yourself at least 5 hours total for emerging both xorg-x11 and gnome-light (not gnome). If you emerge gnome instead, bump that up to 7 hours total.
defreats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well thanks so much for the help guys! I did emerge x11, not emerge xorg-x11, is this going to matter? It's downloading the neccessary files now. Do it need to do an rc-update or anything after emerging x11? I started it like 15 mins ago, is it really going to take that long to finish the emrge process? Will simple ctrl-c and starting again tomorrow mess it up?

Also, could you please post me some links to how to configure xorg and then gnome so I can continue and get it up an running. So far I'm pretty proud of myself :) (Don't laught, small things please small minds guys heh heh)

Anyway, it's 11pm here and I really do need sleep because I have a reallyt early start at uni tomorrow and lot's of 3dsmax to do .

Thanks so much for the quick replies.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

defreats wrote:
I did emerge x11, not emerge xorg-x11, is this going to matter?

It should not matter, as long as no other package has x11 as part of the name. Which there isn't iirc. ;-)
defreats wrote:
It's downloading the neccessary files now. Do it need to do an rc-update or anything after emerging x11?

It is best to do "env-update && source /etc/profile after emerging anything. :-)
defreats wrote:
I started it like 15 mins ago, is it really going to take that long to finish the emrge process? Will simple ctrl-c and starting again tomorrow mess it up?

Yes.

It will take at least 2 hours to emerge xorg-x11 on all but the fastest machines (such as AMD64 processors).

The emerge is split into the downloading and compiling/merging stages. If you Ctrl+C then "emerge --resume" later, then the emerge will pick up from the stage where you left off. It it was the download stage, then emerge will resume the download. If it was the compile stage... bad for you! Emerge will restart the compile all over again!
defreats wrote:
Also, could you please post me some links to how to configure xorg and then gnome so I can continue and get it up an running. So far I'm pretty proud of myself :) (Don't laught, small things please small minds guys heh heh)

Search on www.gentoo.org for yourself. The x11/gnome/kde configuration pages are under "User docs" > "Desktop documentation repository".
defreats wrote:
Anyway, it's 11pm here and I really do need sleep because I have a reallyt early start at uni tomorrow and lot's of 3dsmax to do .

My advice is: Just leave the computer on overnight to finish the emerge. If you keep allocating 1 hour a day to emerge gnome, you will take more than a week to finish. :-P
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do not want to demotivate you but it took me about 2 weeks building my box the way I use it now... Just the settings and configurations would alltogether need 2 days I think.

Rei
defreats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks again guys. Unfortunately last night before I got the replies I cancelled the emerge as my monitor went into standyby and wouldnt come back out. Thismorning I ran "emerge --resume" but it had nothing to resume so I then ran "emerge xorg-x11" which it is doing now... Hopefully this won't mess anything up later?
defreats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: while the xorg-x11 files were compiling, the laptop appeared to go into some sort of standyby mode as last night and totally stopped responding. Ctrl-c did nothing, netierh did an other keys. It seemed to totally hand half way through displaying a warning, which it had already displayed in several other arts of the compile, something like:

Code:
Warning: This is the location of the previous definition

I take it this is because I have previously run the command and had to quit it. Anything I can do here guys?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: