Log Files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blind0wl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Log Files Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering where I have to look to get the startup log files...Im getting a heap of errors after my kernel boots (the part with the little stars) and I cant seem to find a hint of these errors in any of the /var/log or dmesg areas...

Cheers

Blindy
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't tell what log-daemon you are using. I think you just needs to configure your log-daemon.

Syslogd needs the following to log boot messages
local7.* /var/log/boot.log
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<tentatively speaking> I don't actually think those sort of errors get logged, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The logs you refer to and the dmesg command will only give you low-level errors emitted by the kernel and other core daemons/services.

It sounds like the errors you are getting are from your init scripts. If you look in /etc/init.d you will see them all there and you can stop, start or run them any time as root even after the system has booted, which should help you get to the bottom of things. Example (for your Ethernet card on net.eth0 if you have one):
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop     # Stop the service if it is running
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start    # Start the service if it isn't running
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart  # Restart it
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap      # Reset status in case the service died horribly and Gentoo thinks it's still running

Gentoo only has three "runlevels", two of which you should be conerned with, boot and default, which are worked through in that order when your system starts. If you look in /etc/runlevels/boot and /etc/runlevels/default, you can see symlinks to the init.d scripts so you'll know what your system is actually running. To add or remove init scripts for automatic starting in a given runlevel have a look at man rc-update. Naturally, you want to be careful with your boot runlevel as most of these things are necessary for a functional system!
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: ps: Reply with quote

you can see (well if you have shm compiled into the kernel, or else you're a bad boy) the running scripts in /mnt/.init.d/started.

Cya lX.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can see (well if you have shm compiled into the kernel, or else you're a bad boy) the running scripts in /mnt/.init.d/started.

That's a cool tip ... thanks.
Blind0wl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running metalog. Thanks for all the tips guys...Ive been getting errors such as modprobe....nls something or other several times..hehe..see I need to see a log that I can start to work out what the problem actually is....
jahgu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know, it goes by too fast. anyone got a clear answer on this please post it here. I looked in /mnt/.init.d/started/ but they weren't startup logs, only scripts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: