Setting up video rez in Grub.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluetrepidation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Setting up video rez in Grub.conf Reply with quote

Hey I got gentoo running but I am getting an error in grub. It says I am passing an invalid argument for my video setting. I hit return and select one manually. The highest that runs is "6" or 80x60 caracters. Now how do I set this up correctly? I have tried many lines and have seen vga=788, vga=0x31a, video=aty128fb:1024x768-16@60, and video=vesafb:ywrap, mtrr. Ok so which is the correct way to set this up? The Grub manual doesn't say much.

Thanks,
A.J.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video options your passing are actually being passed to the kernel. So it depends on what framebuffer support you have compiled into your kernel. So for instance here are the video options I pass to the kernel, as you can see I have vesa support built into the kernel:

Code:
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31B

Here is a quote from Narada's bootsplash faq showing various vga modes:

Narada wrote:
Code:
    | 640x480  800x600  1024x768 1280x1024
----+-------------------------------------
256 |  0x301    0x303    0x305    0x307   
32k |  0x310    0x313    0x316    0x319   
64k |  0x311    0x314    0x317    0x31A   
16M |  0x312    0x315    0x318    0x31B

If all you want is nice screen resolution and your using the 2.6 kernel, you can configure vesa-tng support into your kernel and set the default mode in the kernel configuration under Device Drivers --> Graphics Support --> Vesa Driver Type (vesa-tng) --> (1280x1024@60) Vesa Default Mode (NEW). The last part you will have to type in, and the format is "Xres"x"Yres"@"refresh rate". That way you don't even have to worry about passing paramaters to the kernel at boot. Hope this helps and if it does remember to append [SOLVED] to the topic of your first post.
bluetrepidation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I used genkernel to set it up so I'm guessing my voodoo3 card can't support whatever is default. Let me try taking out all of those video settings from Grub and see if it still is upset with something.

A.J.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use genkernel, you can still run genkernel --menuconfig all and edit the kernel configuration manually. As far as you card goes, there is no reason why it shouldn't be able to handle a reasonable framebuffer resolution. I don't belive that genkernel is configured with any framebuffer support, at least the last time I looked, so at least go to /usr/src/linux and run make menuconfig to see what options your kernel was compiled with.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: