fdo: Translucent xterm?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enkil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: fdo: Translucent xterm? Reply with quote

After all the news about xgl I've taken a look at the freedesktop.org website and found this screenshot which shows a translucent xterm.
Does anybody know how to achive this kind of a transparent background for any terminal?
I use aterm/eterm which provides "pseudo" transparency, but the shown transparency in the screenshot is exactly what I was looking for.
As far as I'm informed about the composite-extension in x.org, "real" transparency can only be assigned on a per-window basis but not on a background?
I guess the screenshot would then show a xgl-xserver and a patched xterm? I read about transparency on freedesktop.org, they said that the xserver runs with a color-depth of 32bit (8bit red, 8bit green, 8bit blue, 8bit alpha). Would this mean, that you could make everything somehow translucent by assigning an alpha-value as a backgound-color?
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look @ this

Get Firefox and rediscover the web!

BOFH Excuse #295:
The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.
enkil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of xorg's composite-extension and how to use xcompmgr and transset (I think I do...). Problem is, you can e.g. make an xterm 100% transparent, but this will affect the whole window (including fonts) not only its background-image (correct me if I'm wrong!), what would be useless as I cannot see the terminal-fonts anymore as they are transparent, too ;-)
I want true background-transparency as shown in the screenshot that doesn't affect the font. I.e. I want a 100% "real" transparent background but keep the font 100% visible... If this is possible using xcompmgr/transset (IMHO it isn't), I didn't figure out how to do that...
enkil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/xterm-trans.tar.gz

Found the patched xterm... It uses the composite-extension. Too bad that the transparency is not documented somewhere...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: