Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lockups in X after switching hard drives with 'dd'.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelvie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Lockups in X after switching hard drives with 'dd'. Reply with quote

Recently, I used dd to completely copy my hard drive to another one (I just got another one sent back to me via warranty).

I had to re-'dd' my XP partition in order for it to work correctly (yeah yeah, I wish it didn't have to come to this, but WoW + linux + ATI = bad).

Anyways, now my linux has gone weird.

I use fluxbox, and it just froze on me, for no good reason.

The only programs I had on were Firefox and aterm (with transparency) the last time, and Firefox, Kopete, aterm, kpdf the second time around.

I'm thinking this is a problem that has to do with X.

What is the proper order of action in a situation like this? Do I enable anything special in my system logs? Moreover, how do I check my system log after it completely locks up?

Also, I have tried killing X, as well as switching windows. The keyboard and mouse are completely unresponsive, as is the touchpad. My USB mouse is still lit, however.

Any help would be appreciated.

If possible (this is not a requirement), I'd like not to have to do a remerge that takes more than a day or so :p

Cheers,
Kelvie
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have installed syslog, you can check /var/log/messages. I recommend running fsck on your drive, since it sounds like you goobered up the partitions. Also, if you have another computer, you can ssh in and check for errors when your computer freezes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: