Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Noobe the best way to install Dual Boot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Noobe the best way to install Dual Boot. Reply with quote

I have decided to try and become a true Linux convertee BUT. I am so new that I dont want to lose my Windoze just yet. I have decided to blow every thing off my hard drive I am currently using XP. I have 2 hard drives on is 10 gig which I am going to use for the Linux and the other is 40 gig for the Windows bloat drive. What would be the most efficent way to insall both systmes? should I use the 40g for Linux or the other way around and what sould I use as a boot manager? I know I ask a lot but I would apprecite any opinon offered. I hope I posted this in the right forum. Thank you all and I am familiar enough with Linux that I feel confident that I can install Gentoo, I dont want the bloat ware any more. 8O
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you think you are going to use Linux the most (if thats your intention) use the 40gb for Linux and 10gb for winblows. If you later deside to ditch linux you will just get a 40gb D: drive, or if you ditch winblows, you can just mount the 10gb drive whereever you like on your linux system :)

I just had more or less the same question, just using one harddrive yesterday. I think it applies nicely to a two harddrive setup too.. take a look here.
harper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run winXP and Gentoo. The way that I do it is that I first connect the win drive as master and install winxp. Then I swap them and make the win drive slave and install Gentoo on the other drive. (The reason for this is that winxp likes to think that it's on the first drive) Then I use Grub as my boot-loader and by using the map command in grub you can trick winxp into thinking that it's on the first drive. The result is that I have a nice grub boot-loader with a Gentoo splashscreen that very nicely boots either system. My grub.conf file looks like this:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda4 hdd=scsi

title=Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
root (hd1,0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Hope that makes sense and helps.
tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Best way to install Dual Boot. Reply with quote

Thank you folk for the great information, very fast reply. I will be setting it up this evening so I will be able to let you know the trials and tribulations tomorrow. I just want to make sure I am prepared for the transisition, I have had enough headaces with Windblows. I dont expect every thing to go smoothly but if I can take the bumps out of the road I am all for it. BTW I have the Gentoo Live CD with stage 3 I am not lazy I am just not sure I can hadle the more indepth configurations right now. Let me know what your opinions are. Thank again. :D
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to divide it 40 and 10.

You could, for example, give your windows 30 GB, and the put /home and /swap on the 10 GB drive, and then use the remaining 10 GB of the first drive for the rest of linux.

I've been told many times that there's a speed advantage to dividing up your linux on two different drives because both HDs can be reading and writing at the same time.
tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Dual Boot Reply with quote

Does any one have any info on the options of splitting the OS on both of the drives. I would love to get the performance but as I said I am not good enough with Linux yet to do a lot of custom configs. Also, would the performance gain be worth the split or would I even notice it. I am running a AMD Tbird at 1 ghz with 512 mb ram and ATI Radeon video card.[/list]
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best advice I can give you is:
a.)partition you harddrives prior to doing anything else.
b.) for the simplest install put windows at the front of the first hard drive (first partition)
c.) If possible, also put /boot and / on the first harddrive and /home and /swap on the second harddrive.

There are several reasons I recommend doing it this way: I think it will be easier to set up grub for a first time linuxer, and if you mess something up and the second drive doesn't work, then you are only missing /swap, and /home, which won't prevent you linux system from working, you'd then be able to come here and get some quick advice on how to fix your problems. 10 GB on the first hard drive would give you all the room you could ever possibly need for the linux system. The /swap would use a small portion of the second harddrive (maybe 500MB), leaving you with 9.5 GB for /home.
/home is where all of the users personal data files will be stored, so if you ever need lots of space for things like cdrom disk images or lots of mp3's, you'll have it.

You may find that this amount of space is excessive for you linux system, but that's ok, because it would be a fairly simple process for you to backup /home, and divide it up into an 7 GB fat partition for windows and a 2.5 GB partition for linux.

It seems to me that you actually have more space than you need. The main question you need to answer for yourself is: How much space do you need for Windows? With experience, you'll find that linux is very flexible in terms of meeting space requirements (there's no reason you can't give Linux users access to windows drives, that you could store large files like mp3 collections on the windows drives and share them, rather than have a large /home).

I also strongly recommend going to the library or bookstore and finding several good linux books (I learned a lot when I started from "Running Linux" from O'Reilly Press)
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Boot Reply with quote

tolken3 wrote:
Does any one have any info on the options of splitting the OS on both of the drives. I would love to get the performance but as I said I am not good enough with Linux yet to do a lot of custom configs. Also, would the performance gain be worth the split or would I even notice it. I am running a AMD Tbird at 1 ghz with 512 mb ram and ATI Radeon video card.[/list]

One idea:

1) Create a tmpfs filesystem and bind this to directories such as /tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp. In doing this, you will place temp directories in RAM, rather than physical disk space.

Add the following to /etc/fstab
Code:
ramfs                 /.ramfs      tmpfs           size=1g

This creates a 1GB filesystem that will be held in RAM. NOTE that this is dissimilar to RAMDISK in that a tmpfs filesystem grows and shrinks according to files stored on it. If the filesystem is 'full' - i.e. No more free RAM - data gets swapped to disk anyway. The [color=red]sizeargument should be about 2xRAM so I have 512MB and therefore assign a size of 1GB to the tmpfs filesystem.

So, at boot time this RAM filesystem will be created and mounted at /.ramfs directory. So, we must create this directory at boot, before /etc/fstab is processed. We must also "bind" our temp directories (above) onto the filesystem. We do this via an "rc script", we'll call it ramfs:
Code:
depend() {
     after localmount
}

start() {
     ebegin "Starting ramfs"
     einfo "Creating mountpoint"
     mkdir -p /.ramfs/tmp/var
     chmod 1777 -R /.ramfs/tmp
     einfo "Mounting"
     mount --bind /.ramfs/tmp /tmp
     mount --bind /.ramfs/tmp/var /var/tmp
     einfo "Done"
}

stop() {
     ebegin "Stopping ramfs"
     eend
}

Now, save this file as /etc/init.d/ramfs and make sure its permissions are rwxr-xr-x .

Next, use the command:
Code:
rc-update add ramfs boot

To add this script to the boot-up processes.

2) IN file /etc/make.conf , define PORTAGE_TMPDIR to be "/var/tmp" and DISTDIR to be "/var/tmp/portage/distfiles". This will place the scratch build area and downloaded files associated with ebuilds, in the temporary areas. This will store build files in RAM and the will be auto-deleted on reboot. The DISTFILES are Distribution Files (downloaded files) created from an "emerge" build. I am assuming you have a cable connection and that download times are not a problem, cos you will loose them if you reboot - they simply get downloaded if needs be, on successive emerges.

3) Define a sound set of filesystem partitions. The less write-activity a filesystem has upon it, the less fragmentation will occur and hopefully performance will be maintained.

Visit http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.1.html

4) OH , AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE tmpfs SUPPORT IN YOUR KERNEL!! Make sure CONFIG_TMPFS=y is set in your /usr/src/linux/.config file - If it isnt then you will have to rebuild the kernel.!

5) Reboot !

If you follow these guidelines, you hopefully should see a performance increase, how much depends on how bad things are currently :)

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting idea:
is it possible to share a swap partition between windows and linux. i.e. put the win386.swp on the partition while in windows and use it as swap in linux?
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA :lol: Not that one again, erm, yes it springs up from time2time on other distros I've worked on, I think this is the first such query I've seen on Gentoo.

It is possible but not advised. Essentially, Windows employs a contiguous "protected" set of disk blocks (a file) whereas *nix (Linux) utilises an entire partition - the latter being a more prudent and superior choice (of course!)

Anyway, there are lots of resources on this topic, maybe you would like to start with http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Swap-Space.html#toc1

tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Great Info Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help and explain things. I only hope when I become as proficent in Linux that I will be able to contribute as much. Gentoo Rulz, Btw I installed Gentoo last night and the only issue I have is configuring the network. I dont believe that I need a Broadcast IP. But I am sure I did something very stupid. I used vi to edit the conf file for my domain and IP but when I checked it this morning the dnsnames for gentoo were gone. Will this stop me from running or evolving?
tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Great Info Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help and explain things. I only hope when I become as proficent in Linux that I will be able to contribute as much. Gentoo Rulz, Btw I installed Gentoo last night and the only issue I have is configuring the network. I dont believe that I need a Broadcast IP. But I am sure I did something very stupid. I used vi to edit the conf file for my domain and IP but when I checked it this morning the dnsnames for gentoo were gone. Will this stop me from running or evolving?
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your /etc/hostname contains a domain name, anything will do for now, mine simply has:

Code:
dazzle68

Then, enter at least two DNS IP numbers in the /etc/resolv.conf , ask your ISP for these, or search their FAQs, probably an FAQ on Configuring Your Software or something. Mine has:

Code:
nameserver 62.30.32.121
nameserver 62.30.32.122

Then, add your host (your PC) to the network, in file /etc/hosts:

Code:
127.0.0.1   localhost
127.0.0.1   dazzle68

note the last line should match the line in /etc/hostname !

Next, enable DHCP - assuming your ISP allocates your IP address - this is the norm for "domestic" customers !

Code:
dhcp eth0

assuming you have an ethernet card using module (alias) eth0

If you get stuck, mount the Gentoo install CD and find the net-setup file - I'm not at my PC at mo but I think its in /sbin/net-setup ; use that to automate the above. Have a look at the gentoo install guide here http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml - section 5!!!

tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dazzel for the info I will check it out when I get home from work.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Info Reply with quote

tolken3 wrote:
Will this stop me from running or evolving?

Erm, running - well you still got legs aint u - evolving 8O well you dont grunt, sratch your fur coat and eat bananas do you :lol:

Serious though -

Running: if you dont have a DNS setup, then I guess you'll be pretty stuffed and I'd be surprised if you connected to anything/anyone to which you specified at domain/name - you might get away with specifying the IP address directly - but thats crap, get the DNS and IPs working :wink:

Evolving (take it u mean emerging): the Portage system used domain names (such as rsync://www.gentoo.org and www.ibiblio.org) so you WILL need DNS up and running for this.

Does that help?

tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was the first good laugh I have all day thanks for the running/evolving comment. I will be hammering out the IP and DNS issue first thing.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW tolken, I have some 15 years experience with Unix,Linux,AIX,RISC,Windows,Prime,CPM etc.etc., I'm totally new to Gentoo - only started around last week in December - I'm no brainbox nor Gentoo guru but it goes to show that with the support on this site, the world community, the nature of Linux and your own inquisitive nature, things WILL fall into place sooner rather than later - it has for me , and yeah - there are some really clued up guys on here .... Keep your eye out for the likes of "rac" , "BloodyBastard" , "kanuslupus" and "phong" - they kinda run the show here and are always on the "prowl" looking for ducks in trouble , or should that be "penguins in peril!!" :lol:

P.s. If you ever get a response from NITRO , then you really have hit the big = time !!!

tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazzle, I have about the same but with the DOS and Windoz side of things. I am just suprised that Linux is so much easier than it used to be. I tried Slackware about 5yrs ago for about 2 days and quit in frustration. I know I picked a challanging distro, but I wanted to get up to speed quickly and I thought this might get me right into the nuts and bolts of Linux. I guess I was right. I know it is a probably a qucik DNS tweak or at least I hope it is and knowlede is power so thats why I respect you guys so much. I only hope I can grasp Linux as well as the folks here have and can contribute in the future.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, Gentoo is surprisingly comfortable despite its text-based/command line interface - I'd put this down to a well designed O/S, not just at the "chalkface" but from the very top - from conceptual design - I think the Gentoo Devs did an excellent job of scoping the problem and implementing the solution.

Of course, the support backup is essential and its all on this site, FREE and personal (you dont communicate with 'third-parties').

I tried RedHat in the early days, when the internet was Lynx based (text) - no nice piccies, no nice manuals , gave up after a [very short] while.

Things have come a long way - I think its important to remember the target audience of Linux and its major userbase, perhaps academics, students, professors, analysts, technicians etc. The core O/S for linux (kernel & drivers) was well developed, tested and managed. The filesystems surrounding the core have "flavoured" across distros but the feel is pretty much the same. We seem to be at a point where the O/S itself is quite rugged, reliable and performs well - all that's left is to bolt on a GUI.

The GUI advances I think tolken, have brought Linux into the "office" workplace and into the home. Perhaps users feel more comfortable with a GUI, perhaps it reduces exposure to the O/S, perhaps it just makes the job quicker. I personally dont care about GUIs, I can take them - I can leave them - although clearly some apps perhaps are more suited than others, like DVD/CD authoring, desktop integration/control etc.

Dont know about you tolken, but I'm finding Gentoo simply the best distro around at the mo - and long may it continue - I hope the Gentoo Devs continue to lead by example and forge ahead with this most excellent of Linux Dists. Respect to the guys!!

I've already made a donation to the team, I hope others follow, even if its a small amount, its better than nothing.

tolken3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Dazzle in every respect and I couldnt have said it better probably worse LOL. I think that once the GUI is all set Linux will take off I dont agree with what I will call the myths that there are not enough apps or hardware supported. I believe that as an IT Manager I should not be locked into a upgrade cycle that is not only cost prohibitive but requires retraining of the techs. But, I also need to make sure the end user (desktop) has common tools and is able to complete their jobs. Linux does have these tools now, but was lacking just a few short years ago. I am quiely trying to sneek Linux in to my new place of employment to expose the customers and techs to the benifits. I have generated quite a bit of excitement already now I have to keep it going.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish our IT Managers had a similar vision to yours :D

Take Care, have fun, c you around.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: