Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What is best for for old computer - remote X, VNC or FreeNX?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: What is best for for old computer - remote X, VNC or FreeNX? Reply with quote

Hello,
I have old computer (Pentium-200 MMX, 32MB RAM, ATI Rage II+ [mach64] 2MB videocard) where I wan't to run X.Org and some light WM (probably icewm). But I want to be able to remotely share my X desktop when I am working on it, so other people on LAN (100Mbit) can see what I am doing or even can remotely control my desktop (same time I am working on it). Security is not problem here (and I don't want to use SSH, because it will slow that old computer down). There are my questions:

1.) Is this possible with remote X connection? So someone can connect to my runnind :0.0 X display and can see everything what I am doing? If it is possible, can I configure permissions who can only view my screen and who can also interact with it?

2.) I am thinking mainly about remote X, because I assume that VNC server would slow down that old computer too much. Is it right? Or is there some VNC server implementation that doesn't slow down computer? There is TighVNC, RealVNC, xf4vnc, x11vnc. What is best for this purpose? (again: remote connection to running :0.0 X display on slow old computer, but via good 100Mbit bandwidth)?

3.) What about FreeNX? I know it is the best solution for low bandwidth connections, but what about performance on old computer? And can it be used for connection to running X display?
peter96362930
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I did something similar, but my old computer had 64Mb memory. I used XFCE4 for the window manager and TightVNC. It seemed to work OK.
Mikos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This computer has only 32MB RAM and I don't want to buy more RAM for it. So I want to know what is most effective option (in terms of low CPU and memory usage). Remote X should be perhaps the best solution, but does it work for this scenario (i.e. remote desktop connection to :0.0 X display while I am working on it)? Or can this be done only via VNC? Is there some absolutely CPU/memory non-demanding VNC implementation?

Anybody have some ideas?
seb64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

short answer: use vnc
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in a 100Mbit environment so just don't use a high compression rate. If there is not much to compress the CPU usage won't be that high.
I think you should just try VNC or TightVNC and play around with the compression settings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: