genlop bugs about time?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: genlop bugs about time? Reply with quote

So I was trying to use a genlop --current -n that my torsmo config would exec every once in a while so I could see info on what was building, how long it has been building, and how long it had left (approximately).

Then I noticed a little problem: I was emerging the new qt, and genlop --current showed about 4 hours left (for a total of 4.5 hours). This was consistant even after I killed the emerge and started it again. I then did a time emerge qt, and it came back at about 45 minutes. Then I did a genlop -i qt and it agreed that the average emerge time for qt was about 45 minutes.

Anyone know why --current is so off the real numbers? I know it's an estimate, but it's off by more than 400%!
brims
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this with another package before, I think that a previous build might have been a lot more source to compile than the current one. Correct me if I'm wrong.
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my understanding was that when you asked for how long an emerge is going to take, genlop looks at any previous times you've emerged it, and figures out how long each one took, then averages. So, if you upgrade hardware or something, clearing your logs might be a good idea in order for genlop to work properly. That isn't the case here though.

Code:
$genlop -i qt
 * x11-libs/qt

Total builds: 11
   Global build time: 8 hours, 8 minutes and 40 seconds.
   Average merge time: 44 minutes and 25 seconds.

That average merge time is *very* close to what got spit out when I did a time emerge qt. The problem is that genlop --current spat out 4+ hours. I don't know where it's getting this info from, if not from that average merge time above?

Just to double check, I tried getting genlop to tell me how long it would take to merge a package I've never installed before, and it just spat errors.

So where on earth is genlop getting that 4+ hours from?

[edit] I'm using ccache... maybe that has something to do with it? But I still don't understand why it isn't just grabbing the average build time...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: