nvidia-glx in an x86 chroot envoronment
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwijibow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: nvidia-glx in an x86 chroot envoronment Reply with quote

i wanted to play a few games which dont work in zmd64, for example torcs which is hard masked.

i set Xorg-x11 to listen for clients on localhost:0 and ran "xhost +"
in my chroot envoronment "glxinfo" shows that the server is Nvidia and client is SGI MessaGL.
with Direct Rendering = No.

attempting to emerge nividia-kernel failes in the chroot envoronment, which doesnt suprise me, so i tired to "emerge nvidia-glx --nodeps" compile worked fine, however now glxinfo and glxgears segfaults.

in the booted kernel, 32bit binary's are enabled, and 32bit compatability is installed int he nvidia kernel module.

any ideas what went wrong ???

mayb it is because there is no /dev/nvidia ??? in the chroot envoronment. how can i fix this ?
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install software so your 32 bit partition is fully bootable by itself. Try a few games in pure 32 mode. Then proceed to boot gentoo 64 and chroot the 32 system. Keeping the kernel and nvidia driver versions in sync is a good practice.
qwijibow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in other words, i cannot run openGL applications in a 32bit chroot envoronment from a booted 64bit distro ?

the 32bit nvidia-glx in the x86 envoronment are of the same version as my 64bit nvidia-kernel.

games in pure 64bit work fine, as do games in pure 32bit.
but the games arnt important, so i dont want to create a seperate bootable partiton.

i think ill justhave to wait untill these porgrams are moved into amd6 unstable, rather than hard masked.

thanks anyway,
herbie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possible, and you're on the right tracks. You do need nvidia-glx emerged but not nvidia-kernel from within your chroot (use --nodeps here or add nvidia-kernel to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided). You also need the /dev/nvida* device files, the easiest way to get these is to bind mount /dev to within your chroot (mount -o bind /dev /path/to/32bit_chroot/dev). Opengl apps should then run at full speed within your chroot.
incabolocabus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this case, the problem is glut. Heres what I did to make it work:

(I don't run a 32 bit chroot, btw - I compile on a 32 bit p4 install, quickpkg the apps I want, then unpack them on my amd64 and hack together whatever is needed to get them to run)

1) Since torcs won't build for some reason, build this in 32 bit, do a quickpkg, then install it into normal 64 bit area.
2) quickpkg 32 bit glut, then use "xunpak" [see below] and then do the following:
Code:

xunpak xunpak glut-3.7.1.tbz2 .
mkdir /usr/local/glut
cp usr/lib/* /usr/local/glut

Then
Code:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/glut/ torcs

to play it. Wow, everything works well - sound, video... driving with keyboard is hard ;)

I've used this technique for a number of apps, including scorched3d, cinelerra, and mplayer

If you have another box, don't f with a separate chroot, either build the packages there, or chroot into the other box over nfs. If you do have a separate chroot, the best bet for actually getting stuff to work is the above.

xunpak
Code:

#!/bin/sh
bzip2 -dqc -- $1 | tar xpf - -C $2

whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwijibow wrote:
so in other words, i cannot run openGL applications in a 32bit chroot envoronment from a booted 64bit distro ?

the 32bit nvidia-glx in the x86 envoronment are of the same version as my 64bit nvidia-kernel.

games in pure 64bit work fine, as do games in pure 32bit.
but the games arnt important, so i dont want to create a seperate bootable partiton.

i think ill justhave to wait untill these porgrams are moved into amd6 unstable, rather than hard masked.

thanks anyway,

I have and use a 32 bit chroot for my games, while usually working under gentoo 64. It is possible just takes a bit of work. This is without having the emul-linux-x86-nvidia package and friends, and /usr/local/games/ is shared. What is the error message when you run q3a or et or whatever?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: