Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I've had it...(needs sound card recomendation)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AhmadFarhan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: I've had it...(needs sound card recomendation) Reply with quote

i've had it with my dusty 5 years old creative vibra 128..
i want to get a new sound card and i want to know which one works flawlessly in gentoo.. so that i don't end up in another hole

thanks
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one of the lower end sound blaster cards, like the 24 bit ones or something. They sell for only 20 dollars on the net, and you really don't need much more than that anyways. Plus so far I've never heard of any horrible sound configuration problems with creative in Linux. I think creative always has and will be good with their drivers, like nvidia has with their video cards. I used to have a creative sound blaster 5.1 live which I got for 20 dollars online about 3-4 years ago, and I never complained, the thing worked great and I never had any sound quality issues. In fact it's still working in my friend's computer with gentoo on it without any problems as well :)

Here's one I already found for you:

http://www.shopampm.com/product_info.php?cPath=289_239&products_id=348
Only 25 total with shipping.

Just shop around on froogle.com and pricewatch.com and before you buy check resellerratings.com if you can. If they have a score of 6 or above they are pretty good, anything below 6 is kind of a gamble. Just keep in mind most people that write reviews come to post them beause they got burned, not the true ratio of good vs bad business. If the company has 8 or higher they are super.

Hope that helps, good luck :)
AhmadFarhan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I got the exact same one..
thanx for the tip...
but here's the thing

lsmod|grep audio returns
Code:
0000:01:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

so going back to alsa website(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix) i should get use the "audigyls" driver

but here's the deal
with ALSA_CARDS="audigyls" in my /etc/make.conf i did an emerge alsa-driver
and came up with this error
Code:
configure:error: Unknown soundcard audigyls

so i thought i'll comment the ALSA_CARDS in make.conf to compile all drivers but got this instead
Code:
CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr_hwdep.o
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr_hwdep.c:25:
include/linux/firmware.h:11: warning: `struct device' declared inside parameter list
include/linux/firmware.h:11: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
include/linux/firmware.h:15: warning: `struct device' declared inside parameter list
/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr_hwdep.c: In function `pcxhr_setup_firmware':
/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr_hwdep.c:212: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[5]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr_hwdep.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci/pcxhr] Error 2
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1/pci] Error 2
make[2]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8rc1] Error 2
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r6'
make: *** [compile] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.8_rc1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 76, Exitcode 2
!!! Parallel Make Failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

what driver did you use ? or didi you use the kernel's driver
AhmadFarhan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry.. it's resolved now

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=audigyls
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: