Elektra use flag
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuliomartinez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Elektra use flag Reply with quote

Hi, I been watching this project for some time now. They developed a lot of patches so I wondered if somebody would be interested in adding a "elektrify" use flag, thus compiling the app/lib with electra support. It is not easy to try a project like this by hand as there are to many things to be converted etc, but gentoo seems to be the top choice because of the USE flags power.

http://elektra.sourceforge.net/
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to try it yourself.

Look at the ebuild docs on the gentoo website, look at some ebuilds that patch as they build, then add the things you want to the ebuilds you want as you go.

You can then submit your new ebuilds as a feature request in the bugzilla when they work....

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
c07
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Elektra use flag Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=63417
Flamie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea, and I suggest you also draft a GLEP.
gentoo is a perfectly good testbed for incorporating elektra, because of how it ends up as the users choice, and will probably be turned off by default.

I would really want to see this ebuild and patches making it into portage, as well as I want to see gentoo promoting the use of elektra for new apps and patches on old.

again, great thing, lets just hope a big number of people understands this :)
rauar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamie wrote:
again, great thing, lets just hope a big number of people understands this :)

Did u search for the other elektra threads ? Do that, and you'll see: The world is full of ignorant pricks. :(

However the implementation and builds really suck. No wonder there's no real ebuild for that stuff.

Cheerz
binary_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read threads, I've read project page. First time I thought it's good idea. Yes, the idea to have some unified form to access configuration options is good, but the solution is not.

From my point of view elektra is just a plain demonstration of messiah syndrom - I don't like the design and I'm sceptic about implementation.
Let's look at ti as a software project -- I think all-in-one sollutions are aout of fashion for quite a time, its much better to solve the core problem and not to close doors to associated issues and to solve it as transparently as possible (no external patches, they are always late).

So what's the core problem IMO ?

* location of config files
NO. You have memory (your's or community's) and tools like find or grep. Once you know, where the hell the config file is, you can easily navigate there with shell tab completition and inside the file with your editor searching. Plus with some app specifig config files you can tailor the structure and fragmentation of configuration subsections to your needs. note: I'm happy to say gentoo has very good /etc structure -- as little levels as possible and almost everything is easy to find thanks to simple and well-commneted config files or scritps.

* format
COULD BE. But the key-value pair "structure" is dumb as a rock. I don't want pile of incredible long keys pointing to some strange values, it gives me no benefit, just head ache. I don't need data, anybody does not need them, we have plenty of data, too much to be honest,. What we need is structure corresponding to meaning of the things -- let's call it semantics. If I could vote for one and only one format, I'd use XML -- it can be a bit wordy it is about structure, has a lot of tools and it;s here for some time (so most of problems are aither solved or somebody works on them. XML has tree -like structure (yes I know, the elektra can be viewed so, but not with text editor or for the price of additional layer), comments (don't see any in electra), namespaces, ....

* stability
IMPORTANT BUT NOT CORE. We have plenty of choices to make system configuration more stable. Adding one library will notprobably make things worse but certainly not better. As for stability, we need validation, transcations and backups.

* access control
I WOULD SAY YES. I would like to allow users to modify parts of configuration files and have well-formness, schema and user specific validation before they are saved to disk and cripple the config file. We could do it for applications wit XML config files by creating XML filesystem presenting certain parts of document (whole branches or values) as ordinary files and calling external applications for schema or user-related validation. We don't need modify current appliation we can just wrap them or try convince them to XML version of their syntax. System configuration can stay as it is and probably later move to this approach too, if it proves to be usable.

Summary : Elektra is bad solution for real problem(s). It will only add another incompatible piece.

Now tell me where I'm wrong and convince me how elektra is cool.
jsosic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XML is very bad for configuration, and it's even worse idea than Linux implementation of Windows Registry.

Idea behind elektra has some strong points, like single lib for configurations, various backends, and so on. But, it's flaws outnubmer it's good points :( Look what a mess registry did to Windows... And they've started to abbondon the idea. I don't know why is Linux following Windows so blindly, and makin' the same freeking mistakes... I really don't get it. An insane man does the same thing over and over again waiting it to produce different outcome - but IT WON'T !!!

In my opinion, elektra problem is problem of attitude. If project like Apache, /sbin/init & Samba drop their respective configurations, and force sysadmins to use elektra and it's tools, than it's really really bad. Linux is becoming more of a bad copy of Windows every day, and this Registry idea is another small step in that direction, but when/if we start to loose freedom of choice, and when things start to be forced upon us, then all this GNU/Linux stuff will loose all meaning. Why not just buy the original (Windows), and forget about some cheap copy(Linux)?

I'm really really sad, because I have a hunch this won't be an option, and it won't be negotiable :roll:
And the worst thing, there will be no FreeBSD to run to cryin', 'cause elektra will be there too :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: