redhat vs gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superfanny
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: redhat vs gentoo Reply with quote

Hi,

This is the best flamewar between Redhat and Gentoo I have ever read:

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=10093

Hmmm..... anyway, I don't use Redhat or Gentoo as my primary os...... Mind you!!!!!
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 posts and you don't use Gentoo? We must have a good community or something :D I don't see any flamewar coming as almost everyone on this forum is going to consider Gentoo the superior distro!

As to RedHat...I'm hoping to get a job there next spring, seriously. Their central offices are within walking distance of my dorm!

Reasons I no longer use RedHat: RPM dependency hell, MP3 support, encrypted DVD support, nForce2 on-board LAN support, portage, customizability

Things I miss from RedHat: configuring Apache sucks, so does configuring X, so does configuring Samba.

But hey, I wouldn't know any of the stuff if it were served on a (flawed) silver platter. I'm looking forward to having some time between spring semester and summer school when I can install LFS on my other computer.
DNL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly arguments. Gentoo's place is on my machines. RH's place is on my customer's machines.
bladdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What! Redhat cant be compared to gentoo!

gentoo > redhat
distro: gentoo | window manager: pekwm
defkewl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiMi wrote:

gentoo > redhat

Reasons please ...
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defkewl wrote:
MiMi wrote:

gentoo > redhat

Reasons please ...

You are asking reasoning on a Gentoo vs Redhat war on a Gentoo forum?
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably wrong here but when the devs implemented glsa-check wasn't that so they could being to establish a system of backporting security updates? If that's not the case then I would have to say that Debian Woody would be better than RHEL, but not Gentoo. I love Gentoo but I can understand why a distro that backports security patches rather than forcing an upgrade is a better choice for corporations.

Thank ${DEITY} no one mentioned CFLAGS.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
I'm probably wrong here but when the devs implemented glsa-check wasn't that so they could being to establish a system of backporting security updates? If that's not the case then I would have to say that Debian Woody would be better than RHEL, but not Gentoo. I love Gentoo but I can understand why a distro that backports security patches rather than forcing an upgrade is a better choice for corporations.

I haven't heard anything about security backports yet, but I assume the proposed "server" branch will get backports instead of upgrades. A stable environment does not just mean that things don't crash, but that they also stay the same for a longer period of time. You can't have software critical to your business stop working because an updated system library introduced incompatibilities. Any good admin will of course test new packages, but what if your choice is to leave a huge security hole on the systems because there are no backports available, or break mission critical software because the upgrade is incompatible? Think of all the companies still running legacy apps developed in Visual Basic. Several years later, the apps still work, and that's because the environment has stayed the same.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:

glsa-check has nothing to do with backporting patches. In it's current state it is a test implementation of GLEP 14, which is about GLSA integration into Portage. There's some interest in the creation of a seperate tree (GLEP 19), which would only receive security patches. Backporting patches inside of the floating, current tree won't happen (at least until quite a lot more developers join, who [want to] do this).
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I was wrong about glsa-check. GLEP 19 sounds good though as long as it doesn't turn us into Debian.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:

I second that. It's amazing that no one did.
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using Gentoo I'd never use Redhat on my own computer, but after spending a semester learning from an IT administrator I can see why businesses would prefer Redhat. They absolutely need reliable support even more than the promise of stability. They don't want to have to pay someone to sit around and muck with compiling or configurations, they just want it to work as soon as possible with as little hassle as possible. Therefore, a company buys a liscense for the Enterprise Edition (much much cheaper than Windows of course), downloads and burns as many copies of the install CDs as they want, and simply rolls out the entire thing across their systems. Then they go and register each of their machines on RHN so they can schedule errata updates and package installs from the web instead of sitting at the console. It's a business solution that Gentoo doesn't really provide "out of the box," and if you're a CEO of a company then that makes all the difference.

Meanwhile, I can afford to wait several hours for my Stage 1 install to complete and then spend several more hours installing and setting up all my individual programs. I'm not in danger of losing my stock value if my computer becomes unavailable for a fraction of a second.
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defkewl wrote:
MiMi wrote:

gentoo > redhat

Reasons please ...

RPM dependancy hell maybe?

Anyone who's used redhat knows RPM dependancy hell.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look those Gentoo users who claimed Gentoo was better than Redhat for the enterprise sector are total idiots, if you are a major corporation and decide to employ Gentoo you are either incredibly brave [and have the friggin Gentoo devs at your beck and call.] or totally insane. I personally don't mind using bleeding edge [slightly unstable] systems, I run fc4 on my laptop [The people running the rawhide repositories need to learn to stop leaving stuff out of the repositories I just broke Gnome and can't fix it because they forgot to include some dependency.....Which is actually more annoying than a typical dephell issue.] and as long as you don't uninstall Gnome-session [since the repos are screwed up.] you should be just fine despite the expected bugs and general wierdness that comes with a test release. I find that even bleeding edge distros tend not to totally crash out unless I was attempting something remotely interesting, however I have had things break because of updates but usually nothing too serious. A bussiness, a large bussiness probably cannot afford the down time because emerge -u world; etc-update -3 decided to hose something important. That thread was not really even about Gentoo being better than Redhat to begin with, its really a shame it turned from a silly debate over the gpl and Cent screwing redhat somehow into a "Gentoo is more 1337 than all other distros!" thread. How can anyone even attempt to claim that Gentoo is better for enterprise systems when Portage doesn't even have built in reverse dependency resolution and things like --depclean are stated to be dangerous and decide to be affected by use flags instead of soley analysing what use flags a program has been built with?

I concur about the dependency hell with rpm's, its why I refuse to use rpm based distro's on my desktop since I use this machine so much so dephell ends up being more likely.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
bladdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defkewl wrote:
MiMi wrote:

gentoo > redhat

Reasons please ...

..... is this forum still mostly gentoo users?:roll:
distro: gentoo | window manager: pekwm
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiMi wrote:
defkewl wrote:
MiMi wrote:

gentoo > redhat

Reasons please ...

..... is this forum still mostly gentoo users?:roll:

Not by a long shot. At least in OTW. Many people here in OTW openly say that they do not use gentoo in any way. Their here strictly for the debate. The rest of the forum is probably very close to 100% gentoo users since it's all about supporting gentoo.

/me is a gentoo user
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
/dev/random wrote:

I second that. It's amazing that no one did.

Ditto. CFLAGS are very unique and important. I also kinda like the lack of installer on Gentoo's end. You get bragging rights when you've installed stage 1. (Me, AHEM.) lol, And the community behind Gentoo cannot be beat. Gentoo > Redhat!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: