Do I need a RAM disk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kagato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Do I need a RAM disk? Reply with quote

Do I need a RAMDISK? My computer boots fine, but it doesnt show any kernel messages o.o; Also, I have at76c503-rfmd needed, Is there a way I can get it to autoload that module, refresh the usb ports, and then assign all of my iwconfig commands to it? Also how do I get the penguin to show up above kernel messages too, once I figure out hwo to get that showing? Sorry soo long, or if it dosent look right, Im typing on one line in lynx =3 Ah it looks fine =3, But any help about the ramdisk would be greatful =X
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: ramdisk Reply with quote

No - plenty of people don't use a ramdisk. Genkernel users get one. If you want an 'early' framebuffer splash then you will need an initrd but framebuffer splash can be compiled into the kernel too. The penguin is the bootup logo, which you need to enable in the kernel config (menuconfig).

EDIT: Oh yeah, sorry - you need to edit /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-<your spec> file and add modules you want loaded ...and run modules-update
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: