3rd party driver installation help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: 3rd party driver installation help Reply with quote

OK, I have a SIIG ATA/133 PCI card. They "support" linux, so I bought the card. Here is their support:
Quote:
1) Download and extract atp865.tar in Linux.
2) Replace with these source code files.
3) Recompile kernel.
4) Use the embedded RAID software in Linux to support RAID functions (for UltraATA 133 PCI RAID only).
5) For new installation of Linux, specify a third party SCSI or IDE driver and copy the source code files. You might need to perform a custom installation.

I'm ok with step 1. Step 2 doesn't seem apropriate in my case (see step 5). I'm not doing RAID, so step 4 is not necessary. Can someone explain number 5? Where do I put the source files? And what does 'You might need to perform a custom installation.' mean?

Thanks.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent a request for help from SIIG, but I'm guessing their online support isn't much better than their 5 step installation guide for linux.
This could be the end of the line (again) for linux and I. :cry:
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think step 5 is like when you add boot options on a clean install like ddlinux would tell it you ahve a driver disk.....but are you trying to add this to an already existing system and just have gentoo see it or are you trying to do a clean install and have it boot from this card?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
i think step 5 is like when you add boot options on a clean install like ddlinux would tell it you ahve a driver disk.....but are you trying to add this to an already existing system and just have gentoo see it or are you trying to do a clean install and have it boot from this card?

I'm trying to add it to an existing system. Here's what I have:
Code:
Primary Master: /dev/hda (contains Win2K, / and linux swap)
Primary Slave:  cdrom
Secondary Master: NTFS partitions

Secondary Slave:  Currently empty, was a shared linux/fat32 partition

ATA/133 controller
/dev/hd?? 80G drive

After untaring the "driver" from SIIG's website, here's what it leaves me:
Code:
aec62xx.c ide-dma.c  ide-pci.c  pci.ids  pci_ids.h

This is a guess on my part, but I translated step 5 to mean "look for an option in menuconfig to load 3rd party drivers".
I think thats a misunderstanding on my part. Looking over the list again, I think step 2 is where I need to look.
Step 2: "Replace with these source cod efiles." Replace what?

Still no response from their online help. I'm not surprised.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exisiting linux system?...i see a win2k and a swap partition then /dev/hdc is empty now?...so what, are you installing and looking to see if the installation kernel can see your siig contrller card?...sorry if i seem retarded but i am not following what your trying to get this to do...as for the aec62xx.c ide-pci.c and the ide-dma.c and such you can hack the kernel replacing the .c that is there and then rebuild the kernel using the hack...but you need to know alot more of what lines to edit to do this sucessfully....this would mean hacking and building a kernel image and loading it for the install to be successful....i couldnt do it...lol
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
what exisiting linux system?...i see a win2k and a swap partition then /dev/hdc is empty now?...so what, are you installing and looking to see if the installation kernel can see your siig contrller card?...sorry if i seem retarded but i am not following what your trying to get this to do...as for the aec62xx.c ide-pci.c and the ide-dma.c and such you can hack the kernel replacing the .c that is there and then rebuild the kernel using the hack...but you need to know alot more of what lines to edit to do this sucessfully....this would mean hacking and building a kernel image and loading it for the install to be successful....i couldnt do it...lol

No problem, I probably should have been more clear with what I'd listed.
Quote:
Primary Master: /dev/hda (contains Win2K, / and linux swap)
The "/" is my root partition, there is also a boot partition, I just forgot about it. What I would like to do is access the card under linux, so I assume that means compile support for it into the kernel. Just for the record, here's the text from my support request and their response.
SIIG online support wrote:
Entered on 05/21/2002 at 15:53:13 by Tim Pham:

Hello,
You may want to go to ACARD.com for more info.
Tim

Entered on 05/21/2002 at 10:48:00

I purchased this product because the box listed
Linux as a supported OS. I found no information
in the documentation included with the card.
While I did find the drivers and "installation
guide" on the website, it is not very helpful. Is
their any more documentation available?

Thanks,
That said, I think this puppy is going back to the store. ACARD.com is no better. Their answer is pitiful as far as I'm concerned. I would not call this "linux support" and would not recommend their products to anyone. They may be quality products (I don't know), but their support is unacceptable. Oh, and their response "closed" my support request.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you look at the readme for like the hpt 370 binaries they released they were a little more descriptive as to what needed to be done to get the card seen and operational under linux...but it was a pain in the ass to do it and the performance was pittiful anyway...i ended up using a promise tx2 strait ide controller ....non raid and then using LSR and that gave me a ton of performance and is something i can use with any kernel ... is the card you know have a raid controller you were just trying to use as a normal ide channel...if so look at just getting a regualr ide controller...look to google to see how the promise ata133 controller is accepted in linux....that may be your answer and its only 30 dollars...at some point you decide you would like the speed benefit of raid do like i did and usr linux software raid....its giving me 80mb/s in gentoo
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card I have is just an IDE card (SIIG UltraATA/133 PCI, model: sc-pe4b12). There are three reasons I purchased this card.

1. The store has a good return policy
2. The box listed linux support (thats a joke)
3. There were no other options at the store :).

I'll have to look around to see if there is a Promise around (that's what I was originally looking for). In any case, Microsoft *choke*
*gag* *spit* is now formatting the drive. I'm going to see if I can find a promise card tomorrow. I have a feeling I won't find it locally.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy it from http://www.newegg.com they are always competitive on price and have also an excellent return policy....i have bought tons of stuff from them.
but still sheck to see what if any support is in the kernel for the chipset on the promise card....i am not sure about the ata133 version but my ata100 works well
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only need an ATA/100, so I'll look for that one. As for newegg.com, I've heard good things about them. Unfortunately, they don't take orders over the phone and I don't order online.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an FYI, I ordered a Promise TX2 today, expecting it tomorrow afternoon. The SIIG is going back to the store, and I will not purchase their products in the future. Their linux support is extremely poor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: