View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkrisch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: gnome 2.10 beta 1 Reply with quote

will any of the gnome 2.10 betas be made available as ebuild?

are there any unofficial ebuilds out there?

i couldn't seem to find any threads on this. for some reason i just assumed that someone would have a thread up the minute the beta was released....
apmurray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know (this is how it has gone with the last few gnome releases) there will be no official ebuilds until atleast a few days after Gnome 2.10 is officially released. At this stage they will be hard masked and will be so for a few weeks.
Then they'll get moved to ~arch where they'll stay for a about another month until they are marked stable, so if you want it soon you can try breakmygentoo.net.
mkrisch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update. i'd seen reference to breakmygentoo, but only with your email did i start to delve into what it exactly was. the didn't quite seem to have the beta stuff in there yet, so i might hold off a bit more.
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beta's are there.
mkrisch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_Escott wrote:
The beta's are there.

i get a bunch of 2.9 for everything but gnome which seems to be hard masked. or is there some magic incantation to unmask it?

- gnome-base/gnome-2.10_beta1 (masked by: -* keyword)

and if anyone's upgraded to the beta, how stable or unstable is it?
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkrisch wrote:
and if anyone's upgraded to the beta, how stable or unstable is it?

Not very. Pretty crashy. Not ready for daily use by any means.
arenaweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to try it out i would suggest using the developer livecd from http://www.gnoppix.org/
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers will be 2.9.x until the release of 2.10.0. As to the masking, they just want you to deal with the difficulties of verifying that the dependencies are unmasked. If you run x86 you should be fine.

Quote:
# when unmasking for an arch
# double check none of the deps are still masked !
KEYWORDS="-*"
mkrisch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arenaweb: thanks for the gnoppix suggestion. i gave that a spin and noticed two nice changes. first, the bug i've had in nautilus with smb folders being seen as an "unknown type" and not opening seems to have been fixed. and two, the memory usage was significantly lower (though how much of that is the gnoppix/ubuntu set up and how much from improvements to gnome, i'm not sure).

David_Escott: so i went into the gnome_2.10beta1 ebuild and manually changed the "-*" to a "~x86", and tried again. a number of additional packages got included in the requirements, but then i discovered that there seems to be some packages not in the breakmygentoo gensync local portage directory--for example yelp. is the bmg gnome beta distribution complete? or is it still being worked on? or am i doing something wrong with my gensync?

thanks.
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that gnome.ebuild is nothing more than a list of the software that is considered part of the distribution. I am not surprised to hear that a less frequently used part of the distribution, like yelp, is not included in the bmg setup. If you really must have a complete setup you should probably try something like garnome, since this is mantained by gnome developers as a kind of meta package of the CVS-current and the releases. If you want to stay within the structures provided by portage then go with bmg, as long as the core stuff is there you will have an essentially complete desktop and won't miss much. I would classify the following software in the gnome.ebuild as optional

gucharmap
gnome2-user-docs
gnome-games
yelp
zenity
gnome-netstatus
nautilus-cd-burner

although you may draw the line elsewhere if there is some new feature you feel you *must* have or if any of those packages are things you use frequently.
mkrisch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i managed to find all the missing ebuilds specified in gnome-2.10_beta1 at http://home.jesus.ox.ac.uk/~ecatmur/gentoo/trees/capella.catmur.co.uk/. the only missing one was for libart_lgpl-2.3.17, but i was able to add that easily to my local portage.

i'm going to emerge it now and see how badly i can kill my system :)
mkrisch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, for people who were wondering, my desktop didn't go up in flames. there are some nice tweaks, but it is still a bit rough.

evolution looks like it'll be a bit nicer, but in it still has some work to do. in particular, it seems that pilot synching is broken.

on the whole, though, it's useable.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkrisch wrote:
well, for people who were wondering, my desktop didn't go up in flames. there are some nice tweaks, but it is still a bit rough.

evolution looks like it'll be a bit nicer, but in it still has some work to do. in particular, it seems that pilot synching is broken.

on the whole, though, it's useable.

beta 2 has been out and the rc's are set to role out anyday...
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the gnome-2.10 beta that's in bmg-main at breakmygentoo.net (my understanding is that the most cutting edge builds are in the gnome-current repository).

I installed it because I wanted to see if they fixed the volume-control/alsa problem. (So instead of compiling oss emulation in my kernel I decided to emerge a whole unstable desktop! I know... it makes perfect sense doesn't it.)

Overall, I'm very impressed. It's really snappy, looks good, I dig the new features! I haven't had a crash yet. The new control-center seems better, although I had just got used to the one in the gnome menu, this one is more like the windows "control panel". The only problem is... there's no launcher for it! I have to run "gnome-control-center" from the command-line. I'm sure this will be fixed in the release though. The volume control still looks for oss, oh well.

I had to do a few things:

yelp, etc. ebuilds aren't there. However, you can just rename the old ebuild files, make a digest, and emerge and it will automatically download the new versions from the gnome ftp! So, for yelp:

Code:

cd /usr/portage/gnome-extra
cp yelp-2.6.5.ebuild yelp-2.9.3.ebuild
ebuild yelp-2.9.3.ebuild digest
emerge yelp

You have to do this for one other package (i forget which wone... it has ld in the name I think). There was also one new ebuild (gnome-doc-utils) that does not have an old version in portage that I just googled for, downloaded, and had no problem with. You can download it from: http://home.jesus.ox.ac.uk/~ecatmur/gentoo/trees/capella.catmur.co.uk/gnome-extra/gnome-doc-utils/ and then:

Code:

cd /usr/portage/gnome-extra
mkdir gnome-doc-utils
cd gnome-doc-utils
cp ~/Desktop/gnome-doc-utils-0.1.2.ebuild .
ebuild gnome-doc-utils-0.1.2.ebuild digest
emerge gnome-doc-utils

That takes care of the files. Now for architecture problems. I have an amd64 so I had to remove the value in the KEYWORDS flag in the gnome ebuild and add ~amd64. Also, a number of the packages did not have the ~amd64 so I had to edit the ebuild files and add that in. It was pretty easy to. If you're using ~x86, I think you will only have to edit the gnome.ebuild. Just open it up, remove the -* from the KEYWORDS="-*" line and add in your arch (so KEYWORDS="~x86" for most).

Code:

cd /usr/local/bmg-main/gnome-base/gnome
gedit gnome-2.10_beta1.ebuild

One more amd64 specific note. Evolution-data-server won't build as is. Again you have to edit an ebuild file, but it's very simple. Comment out the line that adds the amd64 mutex patch (I know it sounds counter-intuitive, this is a known bug... that line should be removed from future evolution-data-server ebuilds).

Code:

cd /usr/local/bmg-main/gnome-extra/evolution-data-server
gedit evolution-data-server-1.1.5.ebuild

and change

Code:

src_unpack() {
   unpack ${A}
   cd ${S}
   epatch ${FILESDIR}/${PN}-1.0.2-amd64_mutex.patch
}

to

Code:

src_unpack() {
   unpack ${A}
   cd ${S}
#   epatch ${FILESDIR}/${PN}-1.0.2-amd64_mutex.patch
}

notice the extra #.

And, after all that, a nice new shiny gnome desktop!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: