Help with GRUB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devildog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Help with GRUB Reply with quote

Alright, I screwed up my grub file. I was careless and typed hdo instead of hd0 on one entry. Now it wont let me into my system. So I use the CD to boot. It works fine, but when I make a change to my grub.conf file now where do I save it to. It gives me an error of file or directory doesnt exist when I save it to /boot/grub/grub.conf

I tried saving it to /dev/hda2/boot/grub/grub.conf but that didnt work either. Please help!!!!
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not save files under /dev/hda2, that is the device file that Gentoo uses to refer to the hard disk partition as a whole.

Have you mounted /dev/hda2 under /mnt/gentoo/boot before doing the chroot command?

If not, exit the chroot, mount /dev/hda2 in its rightful place, then chroot in again.
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with GRUB Reply with quote

Devildog wrote:
Alright, I screwed up my grub file. I was careless and typed hdo instead of hd0 on one entry. Now it wont let me into my system. So I use the CD to boot. It works fine, but when I make a change to my grub.conf file now where do I save it to. It gives me an error of file or directory doesnt exist when I save it to /boot/grub/grub.conf

This is a bit confusing. Are you saying that when you boot with the CD (is it the Gentoo Live CD or something else?) that you are able to open the grub.conf file for editing to make changes, but then you can't save the changes? Or do you mean that you can't locate the file to begin with? If the problem is that you can't open the file to change it, then it's probably because you don't have the proper partition mounted. If you can open it but cannot save changes, then it sounds like you're mounting the proper partition, but it is read-only. Please clarify!

Devildog wrote:
I tried saving it to /dev/hda2/boot/grub/grub.conf but that didnt work either. Please help!!!!

Assuming you got a message that the file or directory doesn't exist when doing this, you managed to avoid doing damage to your hda2 partition's filesystem. If that is your boot partition, you should try the following after booting the live CD:
Code:
$ mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo
$ nano -w /mnt/gentoo/grub/grub.conf
<fix the offending line(s) in file and save it with ctrl-w>
$ umount /mnt/gentoo

Then reboot your system and see if grub works as you hoped. If /dev/hda2 is your root partition and you have no separate partition for /boot, then you should modify the second line in my code block to this:
Code:
$nano -w /mnt/gentoo/boot/grub/grub.conf

Good luck!
Devildog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kimchi_sg! that fixed it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: