First timer to Linux needs help installing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: First timer to Linux needs help installing Reply with quote

Hey there guys.....I am new to the Linux realm......but I am also excited to learn it. Everyone tells me that if I am going to run Linux, I need to run the best. Gentoo is the rave. However none of them are ever around when I need help. I have the Gentoo Live CD of 2004.3. I need to know the specific steps in order to do this. I have looked at several guides and some are not the same version as mine or there are no quick install guides for the live CD.....any help would be appreciated.....BTW.....I only have one monitor so using a putty is out of the question. I'm tempted to quit this and just load Mandrake or Windows.
DijiTao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official gudie is great - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

To view the guide while installing here's a quote from the handbook:

gentoo handbook wrote:

Optional: Viewing Documentation while Installing

If you want to view the Gentoo Handbook (either from-CD or online) during the installation, make sure you have created a user account (see Optional: User Accounts). Then press Alt-F2 to go to a new terminal and log in.

If you want to view the documentation on the CD you can immediately run links2 to read it:

Code Listing 12: Viewing the on-CD documentation

# links2 /mnt/cdrom/docs/html/index.html

However, it is preferred that you use the online Gentoo Handbook as it will be more recent than the one provided on the CD. You can view it using links2 as well, but only after having completed the Configuring your Network chapter (otherwise you won't be able to go on the Internet to view the document):

Code Listing 13: Viewing the Online Documentation

# links2 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

You can go back to your original terminal by pressing Alt-F1.

good luck.
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should start by looking at the gentoo install guide... It might be an idea to print a copy, if you do not have a way of connecting to the internet while installing...

Also have to decide what stage install you want to make... Look at the threads in this forum (there are plenty) where people have explained the benefits and drawbacks of different stage install...

If you wish to stick with Gentoo, but want to get it installed and started quickly, take a look at the vida linux project..

Get Firefox and rediscover the web!

BOFH Excuse #295:
The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: