Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A8V SATA booting problems (sata_via & initrd...)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTechGod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: A8V SATA booting problems (sata_via & initrd...) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am installing Gentoo on an Athlon 64 using the install-amd64-universal-2004.3-r1.iso image.

When trying to install, it would not recognise my SATA hdd until I did a modprobe sata_via. After that, the installation went smoothly, grub was installed and I rebooted.

After it starts booting the kernel I get an error that the root drive is not accessible (/dev/sdaX). I know that this is because I need the sata_via module in initrd... but I do not know how to put it in there. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get the module into initrd?

Thanks! :D
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to boot Gentoo from your SATA drive, then you MUST include it in your kernel. Don't build it as a module which I believe you are right now. So, go back and rebuild your kernel and all should be fine then. Let me know if you need more info on how to do that since I have the same mobo and used the same LiveCD version when I installed it on my AMD64! :)

taurus
TheTechGod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm going to need some help... I don't know how to compile sata_via INTO the kernel. I tried a VIA sata option which I thought was it (can't remember what option exactly) and I ended up getting sata_via as a module so I guess I chose the wrong thing. :?

Also, when it is compiled into the kernel, will the drive still show up as /dev/sdaX or will it be /dev/hdaX? If the latter then I will need to change my grub config.

Thanks for the info!

PS: I know how to compile the kernel & how to use gentools, I just don't know which is the right SATA option for this motherboard... I'll try looking again and post if I find it before you reply :D
HeissFuss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device Drivers -> SCSI Device Support -> SCSI Low Level Drivers ->

[*] Serial ATA (SATA) Support
<*> VIA SATA support

Also, make sure that in Device Drivers -> ATA you did NOT enable Support for ATA as it may cause conflicts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: