long install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: long install? Reply with quote

how long does it take to install gentoo normally? I've been at it for 6 hours now and i'm still working on getting the system going. This is on a pII 400mhz. I still have to compile X, some window manager, and alot of other things which are usually the brunt of the install. The thing is that i want to go buy another pII 400, since it can have 2 and i'm missing the second proc. When i do that will i just have to recompile the kernel or will i have to recompile it all?
Pretty much i'm just curious about how long it takes people to install gentoo. Thanks.

Registered Linux user number #376329
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your processor ihas about 233Mhz and at that rate you can expect to be installing for another day or so if you happen to installing from the livecd and chose to install the packages that are contained on disk 2.

What stage are you starting from anyhow? Go with a stage 2 or 3 and compile only the builds and packages you really want and screw the rest for now. You can always wait to install other builds once you are up and running on your system.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: long install? Reply with quote

bobbens wrote:
how long does it take to install gentoo normally? I've been at it for 6 hours now and i'm still working on getting the system going. This is on a pII 400mhz. I still have to compile X, some window manager, and alot of other things which are usually the brunt of the install.

Expect it to take at least 6 more hours. ;-)

You can have a quicker installation using stage 3 along with GRP packages from the package CD.
bobbens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started from stage 3, but to install i'm having to install alot more packages due to missing apps. I've had to emerge mod-utils (or whatever it was called) and now i'm emerging system, because i don't appear to have passwd, and from reading a post it is in system. Luckily i didn't do it to my main box, so i'm playing some ut2004 and pretty much killing time between. If possible i'd like to be able to turn off my server tonight, since it's alot noisier then my main box right now, i really have to get around to giving it some mods. I suppose it'll take alot less on an amd 2600+ so i could do an install from stage1, right? Thanks. I don't think it's gonna take 6 more hours though, probably more, especially when i get around to compiling flux (i'm gonna pass on kde, doesn't need it anyways). The reason i'm switching is to attempt to get /dev/video0 working with my ati 3d rage pro agp 2x card, and if possible use two of them (one for my ntsc super nintendo and one for my pal tv). I have the cards, just gotta get them working (pci and agp), hopefully it'll be worth the time.

BTW anyone got the answer to this: "The thing is that i want to go buy another pII 400, since it can have 2 and i'm missing the second proc. When i do that will i just have to recompile the kernel or will i have to recompile it all?"

po0f
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just have to recompile the kernel to get it to recognize the other processor.
bobbens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

po0f wrote:
You should just have to recompile the kernel to get it to recognize the other processor.

So no need to recompile other programs or install apps that sorta sort out what goes to one cpu and what goes to the other? I know that in debian i needed some shit to control the irq and some other packages and automatically came with the prebuilt smp kernel you could d/l. Well hopefully i'll get the new cpu soon and will be able to work on that and not get rediculous compile times.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: