First completion of ppc install, fatal error? fsck.ext2 erro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craneology
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: First completion of ppc install, fatal error? fsck.ext2 erro Reply with quote

Ive searched the forums, and googled. This problem seems to be common, but I havent found a solution so I am using the power of the forum to make an attempt at resolving this issue. Anyways, just completed my first successful(ish) ppc installation (have done quite a few x86 installations, so I have some knowdlege) anyways, just completed it, rebooted (couldnt unmount /mnt/gentoo for some bloody reason, so I just restarted...) so yea, it boots up, kernel loads fine, as far as I could see, then bam loading filesystems presents me with this horrible lock enducing error: fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in superblock while trying to open /dev/hda2 /dev/hda2: yadda. My ext2 is my /boot partition, which under the ppc documentation says for mac (this is on a 12" 1ghz powerbook btw) this doesnt need a filesystem or something since it isnt even activated or something, not quite sure now that I think about it. When I do fsck /dev/hda normally, I get the error about the /dev/hda2 been not ext2. Hope this is enough info, currently using links to access the forum so I cant really see what I wrote in a way, anyways thanks for any help that comes along.
dboli42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only advise I can give is to make sure you've compiled support for your root filesystem into the kernel and not as a module, and post your fstab file. You don't need a seperate /boot partition on powerpc, and in truth you don't need it on most x86 machines (I've never needed one at least).
groen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h

I also had a problem with what sounds like the same error, telling you to run fdisk...... This didn't work so after another fresh install that failled for the same reason. I installed devfs and bingo, problem solved.

udev is the new way to go from what I have read, but for me devfs still works better.

groen
Craneology
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: ok ill try that. Reply with quote

Guess ill try another fresh install and see how it goes with installing those files too. One thing: I havent really done crap with my kernel, operating off a howto (forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-258980.html) which I guess uses an already compiled kernel. Im not the best with kernels, so maybe that is where my initial problem is at?
groen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h

Getting the kernel right is a good start :-) , go have a look here http://ppcconfdb.sourceforge.net/ for some examples.

before you do the whole re-install thingy, just boot up with the live cd, chroot to the gentoo partition, mount all that needs to be mounted and then emerge devfs. If need be also re-compile your kernel. This should work and also save you a lot time.

groen
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, could it be that /dev/hda2 is the partition with the bootstrap magic, and so NOT your root partition?
My partition table looks like this:
Code:
Command (? for help): p   
/dev/hda
        #                    type name                 length   base     ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 64       (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                1048576 @ 1664     (512.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 boot                 102400 @ 1050240  ( 50.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root                2097152 @ 1152640  (  1.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home                6291456 @ 3249792  (  3.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 usr                 6291456 @ 9541248  (  3.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda8         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 var                 5401024 @ 15832704 (  2.6G)  Linux native
/dev/hda9               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_3 41680896 @ 21233728 ( 19.9G)  HFS
/dev/hda10                OpenBSD openbsd            15225536 @ 62914624 (  7.3G)  Unknown

So in my case /dev/hda5 is my root partition (ext3), /dev/hda2 is HFS iirc.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Craneology
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Well I do not have a printout of my partition table on hand, but I do recall what they are:

/dev/hda1 Apple bootloader thing (for macosx)
/dev/hda2 the linux bootstrap thing
/dev/hda3 swap
/dev/hda4 root
/dev/hda5 macosx

I have no clue why hda2 would want to be accessed, it boots up fine, just loads incorrectly. I tried emerging devfs, bingo, and dev. udev emerged, rest do not exist. If the other two (i know devfs is) are in the kernel, then I guess I need to have a swing at hacking at the kernel.
I have decent experience messing around with an x86 kernel, is it any different with xppc? guess Ill search around and figure that out for myself. Thanks for trying.:P

** ok just reread the thread and realized that bingo is not a package, but a sign of emotion hehe. Man I should sleep more.
Craneology
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: update:: still no resolution Reply with quote

Ok, so I went ahead and recompiled the kernel; nothing seemed wrong with it in the first place. It supports ext2, and ext3 which are all I need for my system. Anyways, I decided to manipulate my fstab, changing the last two digits in the /dev/hda2 row to 0 0, changed from 1 2. This allows the system to load up, saying some fs failed to load (/dev/hda3). Anyways, so I bypassed that in a way, but when the login: prompt shows, it locks up. WTF? any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems like Gentoo is teasing me now with the login prompt.
groen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm running low on ideas here ..... did you install ext2 and ext3 as modules ? if so do they load up when you startup?

groen
Craneology
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

nope, i decided to build everything directly into the kernel, thus destroying the whole module problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: