Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Machine wont boot after unclean shutdown...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Machine wont boot after unclean shutdown... Reply with quote

Okay, I've had a couple crashes recently (still trying to track it down) -- but I'm curious about the following.

My boot partition is ext2 which contains the kernel. My root partition is jfs, and support for jfs is compiled into the kernel.

When the machine crashes, upon reboot, the machine fails to boot. It errors out on unable to mount root partition... I boot off a CD, fsck the root partition, reboot and all is fine.

My question is, shouldnt the system be smart enough to run the fsck process itself? Also, since its a journaling file system, it shouldnt require an fsck to boot properly. So, I must have done something wrong..

Edit: More info...

I use genkernel, and notice after I manually fsck the drive, upon bootup it does fsck the drive, but only much later into the bootup process. When the drive is dirty, it never makes it that far.

Here is my grub config:
Code:

# For booting GNU/Linux
title  Gentoo Linux (kernel-2.6.8.1-mm2)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.8.1-mm4 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3
initrd /initrd-2.6.8.1-mm4

And the fstab

Code:

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/sda3               /               jfs             noatime                 0 0
/dev/sdb1               /mnt/space      reiser4         noatime                 0 0
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to read the following:
man fstab wrote:
Code:
       The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in
       which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root filesystem should be  speci-
       fied  with  a  fs_passno  of  1,  and  other  filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.
       Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems  on  different
       drives  will  be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hard-
       ware.  If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and  fsck
       will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

Then adjust your fstab as follows:
Code:
# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/sda3               /               jfs             noatime                 0 2
/dev/sdb1               /mnt/space      reiser4         noatime                 0 0
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0

If you have another crash, then this should allow the fsck to proceed at startup...

Get Firefox and rediscover the web!

BOFH Excuse #295:
The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.
angoraspruce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine wont boot after unclean shutdown... Reply with quote

Hello ekool,

My guess is that the unknown source of your crash might be causing the corruption of your root partition, as opposed to the crash itself corrupting it. I bring this up because if your HD is being messed up by something, then it's possible that the files needed to launch and/or run the fsck are lost until the file system is straightened out by the fsck on your CD.

My other guess is that you've got a ticking time bomb waiting to take out your data permanently. Random crashes with corruption of your HD does not sound good to me at all.

Best regards :)
ekool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Rat, that is great info.

Angora, thx for the assistance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: