Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
back up laptop partition to my desktop hd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: back up laptop partition to my desktop hd? Reply with quote

quick question:
I've got a laptop that I use to stash all my homework/notes on, but it's getting pretty old and I've got quite a bit of important information on it. I'd like to know if it's possible to back up a specific directory ($USER/data/ which is located, obviously, a subdirectory of my home directory, and it is located on a separate partition on the drive so i can do reinstalls/borkings without bothering it. It stores all my non-config user files.) -- anyway, if I can, I'd like to back up that partition on my desktop machine's hard drive. Both are gentoo machines, and their only connection is living happily on the same network, although the laptop is only connected when I bring it back to my room. Ideally, I'd like to be able to "sync" the $USER/data/ directories on my two machines (so that I could edit a document in either and the newest would overwrite the oldest from either machine)...but I'll settle for some type of uploading. Any ideas/insights on how to do this or what programs to use?

Thanks!
lokey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: back up laptop partition to my desktop hd? Reply with quote

jxn wrote:
quick question:
I've got a laptop that I use to stash all my homework/notes on, but it's getting pretty old and I've got quite a bit of important information on it. I'd like to know if it's possible to back up a specific directory ($USER/data/ which is located, obviously, a subdirectory of my home directory, and it is located on a separate partition on the drive so i can do reinstalls/borkings without bothering it. It stores all my non-config user files.) -- anyway, if I can, I'd like to back up that partition on my desktop machine's hard drive. Both are gentoo machines, and their only connection is living happily on the same network, although the laptop is only connected when I bring it back to my room. Ideally, I'd like to be able to "sync" the $USER/data/ directories on my two machines (so that I could edit a document in either and the newest would overwrite the oldest from either machine)...but I'll settle for some type of uploading. Any ideas/insights on how to do this or what programs to use?

Thanks!

Hi, have you tried rsync? Its awsome, I use it instead of cp most of the time:

rsync -avvpP -e ssh $USER/data desktop:$USER/data

-J
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: back up laptop partition to my desktop hd? Reply with quote

lokey wrote:

Hi, have you tried rsync? Its awsome, I use it instead of cp most of the time:

rsync -avvpP -e ssh $USER/data desktop:$USER/data

good thought. I never really knew what rsync was about, but I'll check out the man/howto's. thanks.
thesnowman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use unison. Works well for my purposes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: