View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZooCow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: No keyboard or mouse in GNOME Reply with quote

I figured this would go under install because I am not done installing Gentoo, and I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

I've managed to finish installing GNOME and when I run startx (the keyboard runs fine before that), the mouse and keyboard wont respond. I have hotplug installed and updated. I am using Genkernel, a USB intellimouse, and a PS/2 keyboard.

Any suggestions?
azlan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK some qestions:

One: are you booting directly into graphical mode??? I still am not sure if you mean that the problem starts at gnome or, if you just boot into gnome and the problem exists the first time you try to use the keyboard. (comprende?)

Two: did you configure your usb correctly in the kernel configuration? It would reall help here if we knew what kind of system you are using....

Three: this is definately not a Gnome problem (I use KDE so I am not bias here), what you are looking at is either one of two things.... a usb kernel issue (iether you did not select the right usb drivers for your system, or you did not select any, or genkernel did it for you and you have the wrong module installed: write back if you used genkernel we'll go over this) : or it is an X11 issue and you have not selected the correct drivers to run your mouse and keyboard.

I know this can be a bit frustrating if you have never done this before, but stay with us and you will know this well enough in a short time to never think about this again...

What kind of system are you using??

Do you have keyboard out of graphical mode?

lets start there...:)
ZooCow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No I am not booting into graphical mode. When I log in I have use of keyboard up until I type in startx.
2. I used Genkernel for the kernel and am assuming that it is already configured correctly. As for my system it is an IBM Tinkcentre 843298, with a 6800GT.
3. Yeah, I didn't think it was a problem with GNOME either, but I wasn't sure.
azlan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, your problem is definately with X.

how did you configure X ? Did you use xorgcfg, or xorgconfig? If you used the latter then try xorgcfg and see if it will autoconfigure properly. That would be the best route.

If that works then you will need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ...

if you have a wheel mouse find this part and change it to this..

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Buttons" "3"

...you will also need to set a default color depth, as X tends to be too conservative and your screen end up looking like poo.

so add this here like this... (second line)

Code:
Section "Screen"
          DefaultDepth 24
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0

Alright this is the simple situation so let me know if this helps.. if you have both a usb keyboard and mouse, then you may not have configured usb hid properly so if this is not your answer let me know.,..

And if you do still have a problem please send the output of the command (as root)
Code:
 ls /dev/input  && lsmod

ZooCow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I somehow forgot to run Xorgcfg, I ran it and now startx wont even work. Is there anyway to reset the xorg.conf file?
Sorry about the questions, but I havn't used Linux in awhile. Would KDE work better?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: