Disappearing Disk Space
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techiegoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Disappearing Disk Space Reply with quote

I have a strange issue that is happening on a Gentoo box. This box is used as a MythTV backend for recording shows and running MythWeb. I do not use this box for any viewing, I have another gentoo box hooked to the TV that I use MythFrontend to watch and delete shows. When I delete a show using the MythTV frontend or from MythWeb the physical .nuv file is deleted off the hard drive but the size of the used space reported by df is incorrect. If I du it shows the correct size. If I reboot the computer the used space is corrected and appears fine. If I delete more shows it starts again.

This past weekend I moved all the files off the drive and reformated from reiser to xfs. The issue is still happening.

Code:

mythserver root # df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3              19G  8.9G   11G  47% /
/dev/hde1             234G  207G   28G  89% /mnt/myth

Quote:

mythserver root # du -h /mnt/myth/
4.0K /mnt/myth/done
0 /mnt/myth/live
8.0K /mnt/myth/scratch
179G /mnt/myth/recordings
179G /mnt/myth/

System Specs:
Asus A7S333
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2100+
512MB Ram
20 GB System drive
250 GB Recording drive connected to Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 IDE card
2 x Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250MCE

Running Gento-Dev-Sources 2.6.10-r6. I have done all updates.

If any other info is required please ask.
angoraspruce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this happen when I've deleted a file that had been opened by a yet running process. 'du' showed the space freed up, but 'df' said it was still there. Killing the running process that claimed the file put 'du' and 'df' back into sync (or in as much sync as they ever tend to be). So when you rebooted, you were bringing all processes to an end, including the one fooling 'df' into thinking the delted file still existed.

My guess is that when you delete the files with the frontend (or whatever), another program already has them "open" in a read mode, probably ready for playing. <shrug> Make sense?

HTH :)
Sm1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue back in myth .16. Moving up to myth .17/cvs resolved the issue ( at least for me)
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this issue sometimes when deleting with the rox filemanager, and it is quite possible it was being read-accessed by another program (p2p, file transfer). I can't remember when it happened the last time, but it happened pretty frequently and the only way I could correct it was by rebooting indeed. However, I think that the space was usable again, just the report was wrong.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because linux handles files differently they aren't locked, but a delete will just remove the pointer tpo the file -> as long as another process is accessing the file the space will still be taken, but new processes can't find the file. The solution is to do a lsof | grep file and kill the process using the file (or wait patiently till the process is finished with the file.
Mythtv probably opens all files readonly, so the files stay there.
Code:
root@zaphod:~# lsof | grep kraft
beep-medi 21358 edwin   10r      REG        3,3 5474304       3123 /home/edwin/muziek/kraft/01_com~1.mp3
techiegoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Hopefully will be resolved Reply with quote

I worked on this last night and after stopping the MythBackend using /etc/init.d/mythbackend stop the file space issue was resolved. I am still running .16. I will be updating to .17 this weekend.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: