View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: KDE Start-Problems Reply with quote

After upgrading to 3.1 rc6 the start of KDE takes a very long time, about 4-5 minutes. After the desktop is there also some applications start very slowly (Konqueror as filemanager). The same if i try to get a propertybox open.

Any ideas?

So long ...

Alex Huth
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: KDE Start-Problems Reply with quote

ahuth wrote:
After upgrading to 3.1 rc6 the start of KDE takes a very long time, about 4-5 minutes. After the desktop is there also some applications start very slowly (Konqueror as filemanager). The same if i try to get a propertybox open.

Alex,

I had a similar problem with an earlier version. If you have fam running, try shutting it off. That worked for me.

Code:

# /etc/init.d/fam stop

Hope this helps,

Seth
spanommers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that you bring it up, what's fam good for? i've read the man page, but what are some examples? after all, it claims to be for efficiency...
ahuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: KDE Start-Problems Reply with quote

[quote="Seth"]
ahuth wrote:

Alex,

I had a similar problem with an earlier version. If you have fam running, try shutting it off. That worked for me.

Code:

# /etc/init.d/fam stop

Would be nice if it is running. But it isn´t started!
On another workstation the upgrade had worked fine ;-)

So long ...

Alex Huth
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanommers wrote:
now that you bring it up, what's fam good for? i've read the man page, but what are some examples? after all, it claims to be for efficiency...

Experts correct me, but I believe FAM is a TLA for File Allocation Manager. Using it should speed up an applications file access. In this case, though, it doesn't appear to be working.

Seth
kadmos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: thread for FAM bug Reply with quote

Please see this thread for more information about this FAM bug.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: