View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slomo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

i'm pretty well pissed at this point for a number of reasons.
chief among those are lack of some simple explainations regarding the kde split installaltion process.
i'm using kde-3.3.2

1.i want kmail, an emerge -s kmail reveals nothing but ~x86, i would like to keep the system stable, an attempt to search the archives reveals far to many hits, namely the split ebuild, that digresses far OT.
Is there a short, small, descriptive on getting kde apps installed, without having to accept the ~x86 arch ?
2. i've set konqureor to accept cookies, doesn't work, i've tried logging out and back in, still will not accept cookies. what to do?
3. inre item 1, many of the apps have been marked as ~x86 since at least the middle of January, some links suggest that they WHERE to become stable in a short time, what's up with that ?

it's nice to see the split occur, but if theres no documentation,whats a typical user supposed to do?
flood the forums with more requests for more info that get more OT posts?
i've read the post inre the kde split and for me, doesn't mean a hill of beans, if all thats available is ~x86.
jerry
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The split is for KDE 3.4, which is still in beta stages. It is not only just for ~x86, but it is hard masked. This is probably because the spit is something that they haven't done before so they don't want to unmask them so they don't break all the ~x86 systems that are using KDE. So basically they are saying, "try this if you want, but we can just about promise that it will break something." When KDE 3.4 final is released it'll probably go ~ARCH, but then it won't be marked stable for a while.

As for your other problems, sorry I can't help, because I don't have much experience with those apps.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
slomo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are those of us wanting to use 3.3.2 supposed to do?
wait until who knows when these builds become stable.

from what i would like to do is emerge a kde app, workable for the above situation,
what is required ?
jerry
slomo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a specific app such as kmail you could try unmasking it by adding it to /etc/portage/package.unmask. There's instructuions on how to do that in the handbook. Remember that there's not guarantees that it won't break things. Also there might be some ~x86 dependencies that you'll have to add to package.keywords and some other dependencies might also be masked. As for why Konqueror won't accept cookies, I don't know. I've only used Konqueror a few times even when I was using KDE so I never played with it much.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: