Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Samba connection way faster when in root?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Samba connection way faster when in root? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have recently made the switch over from xp to gentoo for good. My question is this: I currently have this computer on 2 networks....a wireless one, (where i get my internet from) and a small lan where i connect to my roomates computer and my movieserver via eth0. my movieserver is running gentoo at the command prompt, and samba. Its mounted in the MOVIES workgroup. I've found that while on this computer and logged in as root, my connection is WAY faster to the movieserver. Like when i click on networks, then movie server the contents come up very quickly and i can transfer files blazingly fast. When logged in as my regular user 'tony'...the connection is VERY slow and makes it almost impossible to transfer any files or stream any movies....any idea as to why this is happening?

also...on a side note...for my structured programming class we write java and i need a good java compiler with a gui....i used to use JGrasp on windows if any of you are familiar with that compiler, so i'd like something allong those lines...nice and easy to use...

also if any of you could point me in the direction of some easy to use FTP Server software, as well as a good mp3 player (one similiar to itunes?) and possibly a program that will allow me to access the tv tuner portion of my ATi 9800 AIW card?

oh..one more thing....i have an mx700 mouse and i found out how to get all the buttons and all working...but its not saving the settings....so is there any way to make it so i dont have to do:
#xmodmap -e pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5
everytime i log in?

Thank you very much
brims
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a Java compiler, I love Eclipse. I use 3.0.1, yes this is an IDE, but as we all know it has a compiler.
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks...i'll look into that.....anybody else have any insight to the rest of my problems?
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the mouse: do you start x with startx or through xdm/kdm etc. If you use startx then you can just add the line to your .xinitrc
Code:
xmodmap -e pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5 &
exec windowmanager of choice

The file transfer problem is very weird. How do you access your server? smbmount or linneighbourhood or something. You could try using nfs or something similar instead of samba.

ftp server: proftp
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ok i'll try adding that to my .xinitrc..im using grub and x starts automatically, but it does seem that adding this line would activate the mapping of my mouse on boot.....

Im connecting to my server via clicking on "computer" on my desktop, then network, then double clicking on the server....i enabled windows networking in the network settings too.

I had another thought...what is a good cd creating software?....like one similar to nero in windows would be great..thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: