Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Some Gentoo problems (Maybe because of udev?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_gie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Some Gentoo problems (Maybe because of udev?) Reply with quote

Hi,

I installed Gentoo two weeks ago and wow, I am amazed! :) What a great system.

After installation, I began configuring my system, for example users can shutdown, install vmware, sync my palm, shutdown screen when lid is close, etc.

But some days ago, I wanted to correct some ndiswrapper problem that, after a search on the forum, seemed related to not using udev. So I installed udev as of http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

Now I have some troubles with my system...

1. VMware can't be run if I don't run /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl but when I run this script, I get:
Quote:

[...]
Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

As of September 2003, the Linux kernel development team does not support gcc
version 3 and later. See Documentation/Changes in your kernel source directory
for information on installing the correct compiler. Do you want to use the
version "3.3.5" of compiler "/usr/bin/gcc"? [no]
[...]

If I anwser no, it exit. If I type yes it compiles ok.... Whats that???

Why do I always need to vmware modules?? I've looked around the forum but none of the workaround about creating the nodes had worked for me...

2. Gentoo seems to forget some configurations...
For example, /etc/conf.d/wireless is not used, or it doesn't seems to. I had set this file so the configuration would be saved but each time I boot, I don't have internet access. I need to rmmod ndiswrapper, modprobe ndiswrapper, then configure via iwconfig...
Also, I've followed http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Let_a_common_user_shutdown/reboot so I would be able to shutdown. Before udev, clicking the logoff button would ask me "logoff, shutdown, reboot?" question and I could reboot/shutdown via this gui. But now, if I choose shutdown or reboot, it just logoff...
Anyone have a clue??? Since this weird reaction seems to be after udev, and a bit generalized, could it be a config file somewhere I forgot?

Thank you very much for your help!!!
bravecobra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the fist part, you upgraded your gcc after compiling your kernel. If you recompile your kernel (and install it) with your current gcc and reboot, you should be able to run the script as you would expect.
big_gie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I don't know what I did but now vmware seems ok. I've followed all the posts about it, rebooted to be sure no old config was used, maybe it helped.

But I still cannot reboot/shutdown...

Another thing. I have a scanner (canon lide 35) and a printer (canon i350) which both aren't linux supported. I'm able to install windows drivers in the vmware's windows xp and print from it. Would it be possible to share the printer and print from linux? All I('ve seen was that there need to be drivers for the printer on the linux box too, which I can't afford. Its not necessary but I would be pleased if I could print from linux. Also, when the scanner is pluged in, I see the windows "new hardware" and then a popup that tells me that the scanner is usb2 but connected to a usb1 port, then blue screen in vmware! (Happy with linux, no blue screens :) ). What could cause this?

Thanx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: