Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Yet another font installation problem......
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Yet another font installation problem...... Reply with quote

I am so frustrated with Linux right now. I have just spent several hours trying and trying to figure out how to install new fonts for use by GNOME and just don't get it. As usual under Linux there are files and symbolic links everywhere and this or that service doing this or that to this or that which will be used by something like GNOME. Sometimes as now, things seem so incredibly ridiculous with Linux....it's like one big bowl of spaghetti and I feel like someone having to unravel the noodles one at a time.

I've had more problems trying to figure out where things are it under the hood so to speak than anything else. Googling has not helped hardly at all.

So....if someone would be so kind as to help me out of my present predicament I would surely appreciate it.

Specifically I have downloaded the Microsoft TT Fonts. They have been downloaded as a .gz or some other type of zip file. I can unzip them through Nautilus by clicking on them (good, good, nice easy thing to do :)).

So I have gksu'ed into two nautilus windows (since the font:/// directory files are owned by root and since I want to copy things into that directory) and am grabbing the unzipped font files and dragging them into the window showing the fonts:/// directory (which I assume to be /usr/share/fonts). Absolutely not one thing gets copied over. All that happens is that when I release the mouse the little icon representing the font goes right back to the place where I dragged it from (namely the nautilus window showing the /tmp/ directory).

This whole thing has been an incredible exercise in futility so far.

Anyone got any suggestions? Other than just using emerge corefonts? I don't want to rely on emerge corefonts since 1) I am not sure what emerge corefonts does and 2) more importantly I want to learn to install fonts that I download from the Internet that do not have an ebuild for them. It should just be a matter of unzipping them and copying them to the fonts:/// directory (whereever that is). Shouldn't it?

Why can't I drag and drop through two Nautilus windows opened up as root (while running under a regular user under GNOME)?

I'll try copying through the CLI I guess but I am just wondering why trying what I am trying is not working through drag and drop in GNOME. When I go out to what I think is the underlying fonts:/// directory I see nothing like what I see through nautilus when traversing to fonts:/// so I am not even sure where to copy the fonts inside the .gz file???

Thanks.

Carlos
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do the following..

Create a place to store your "downloaded" fonts (I use "/opt/fonts")

Just copy your downloaded fonts to /opt/fonts (uncompressed)..

Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and add the /opt/fonts dir in you fontpath

Code:
FontPath     "/opt/fonts/"

Restart X

Get Firefox and rediscover the web!

BOFH Excuse #295:
The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your as always good input TheRat.

I guess I will have to then go in and manually update yet another config file that is in yet another location (sigh :)). And write yet one more tid bit of a note as to what I did where so that a when I install yet more fonts I'll be able to remember how I added them in the first place.

I take it then that GNOME's use of fonts is handled by the X server? Does that X server provide the fonts to GNOME? What is this that I read about something called the xft server or some such? Where does that come into play? Do all Linux distributions use the same font server?

gconf under GNOME is a great idea by the way. It's not totally implemented yet but at last somebody is getting the idea of creating a configuration facility that is abstracted from the file system such that users can go to ONE place and edit configuration options to their hearts content.

Anybody know why my drag and drop does not work through GNOME?

Carlos
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonts under linux can be rather confusing.... Ill try to explain how things work.

There are actually 3 forms of font rendering in X. There is the X server itself, there is the xft/freetype renderer, and there is application-specific renderers. Openoffice is an example of the last form, it renders all it's fonts itself.

Any fonts that X renders will generally be the ugly aliased kind, and most apps dont really use X's rendering anymore. Most use xft/freetype, which can render the nice pretty truetype/type1 fonts that you see on windows etc....
freetype still renders through X, but it doesnt call the X font rendering functions, rather it renders itself, and then just tells X to draw the specified shape.
The third type you wont need to worry about too much, there arent many apps that render their own fonts.

Where xfs (X Font Server) comes into this is that it simply takes the place of XFree86/Xorg's FontPath settings, and is of most use in a multiuser environment where many people might access the X server at once.

You also have fontconfig, which is a library that applications can use to find a particular font they want. Fontconfig builds a list of all fonts it can find from its config file, and it selects the most "matching" font to return. This means that if an app, say Mozilla, asks for the Arial font, but it isnt available on your system, fontconfig will look through its list of fonts and find one that is similar to Arial, and return that font instead.

In order to let new fonts actually be used, there are 3 requirements you need to do.
First, you need to update either the xfs config file, or the xorg.conf file's FontPath settings with the directories you have placed these files in. This is so anything that doesnt use fontconfig can find the fonts.
Secondly, you need to tell fontconfig about these new font directories. There are 2 ways to do this. The first is to edit the /etc/fonts/local.conf file and add in the new directories there. The format of that file is pretty simple, its just XML. You add a new directory by placing a
Code:
<dir></dir>
entry somewhere in that file.
Example being this, for the /opt example above:
Code:
<dir>/opt/fonts</dir>
Nice and simple :)
The second way to do it relies on you placing the fonts in /usr/share/fonts. Simply re-emerge fontconfig,
Code:
emerge --oneshot fontconfig
and as part of it's install, it will scan that directory and automatically add the new <dir> entries.
The final requirment is that you recreate any fonts.dir and fonts.scale. Its also a good idea to update the fontconfig cache at this time. If you use the xfs service, it will do this for you whenever you start or restart it, so Id advise using that.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks transient. You have taken what is undoubtedly the most convulated, twisted, bizarre way of doing fonts one can imagine and explained it in a way that is somewhat understandable. It's a wonder anyone ever gets fonts right! Boy what an absolute mess of fontology Linux is.

I still don't know why stuff I have tried has either worked or not worked.

As a case in point I simply unzipped and untarred the TTF file into a directory that I found inside my home called ~/.fonts. How it got there I have no real clue. It didn't really have anything in it.

I did NOT add anything to any config file at all such as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, logged out and then back in again to restart X and lo and behold the fonts appear through GNOME! I can certainly remember how to do that in the future but as to why that worked at all? I have little of any clue. It's just one of those things I guess. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it don't. :)

I suppose GNOME itself bypasses X and somehow keeps track of fonts itself. Beats me.

Of course unless I put them where GNOME looks for fonts system wide none of these fonts will be available to other users unless I create a .font directory in each of their home directories.

I am definitely going to be studying what you said some more transient. What you described is quite a mess of sphagetti. It's going to take some time for me to make heads or tails of it.

Carlos
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...now that I have finished emerging Ximian Open Office and have gotten used to those nice looking Microsoft fonts again I find myself once again bumping up against these never ending font hassles in that I have no clue as to how to include the nice TTF into those that Open Office offers me. It's obviously not reading from where GNOME reads the fonts from.

I have the TTF inside ~/.fonts.

I can probably Google once again and spend another hour or two trying to figure my way around this latest of font headaches but would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction in terms of how to get Open Office to recognize the TTF fonts I've copied to ~/.fonts?

Thanks.

Carlos
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the OpenOffice.org Printer Administration utility, and click on the Fonts... and click Add...

Fonts should be available to openoffice on the next restart of the application.

BOFH Excuse #295:
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
Well...now that I have finished emerging Ximian Open Office and have gotten used to those nice looking Microsoft fonts again I find myself once again bumping up against these never ending font hassles in that I have no clue as to how to include the nice TTF into those that Open Office offers me. It's obviously not reading from where GNOME reads the fonts from.

I have the TTF inside ~/.fonts.

I can probably Google once again and spend another hour or two trying to figure my way around this latest of font headaches but would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction in terms of how to get Open Office to recognize the TTF fonts I've copied to ~/.fonts?

Thanks.

Carlos

Yep. As I said, OOffice renders fonts itself. Luckily, theres a utility to add new fonts to it, which theRat described for you.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you all are talking about spadmin I tried that already (/opt/Ximian-OpenOffice/spadmin). Practically clicking on every button in that utility and there is no Add Fonts button in it anywhere that will allow me to add fonts.

There is an Add Font button in relation to Font Replacement but that just allows me to indicate which fonts to replace with which other fonts in case Open Office does not have a font available. Even then it does not show any of my Microsoft TTF so as to let me replace any existing fonts with them. It does not allow me to add fonts to Open Office overall.

Not sure what you mean by OpenOffice.org Printer Administration utility if not spadmin.

Carlos
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:
Code:
/usr/bin/oopadmin

BOFH Excuse #295:
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Not there.

Quote:

root@localhost.localdomain - /home/carlos
> /usr/bin/oopadmin
bash: /usr/bin/oopadmin: No such file or directory
> find /usr -name oopadmin
> find / -name oopadmin
/B-hdb2/usr/bin/oopadmin
>

At least not on my current Gentoo box where I do not have the regular Open Office installed. I just got through installing Ximian-OpenOffice and they must have moved it to the directory I indicated in my previous post. I'm pretty sure it's the same program TheRAT. There is no Add Font capability in it that will change fonts available within Open Office in general. Just with regard to those available for printing. That is what admin is for.

The oopadmin that shows up in the listing above is to be found in my /dev/hdb2 partition that contains my old Gentoo set up which includes Open Office (vs Ximian Open Office).

Not sure where to proceed from here. I guess I will have to spend another few hours tracking this one down over the Internet unless someone has any other suggestions.

This kind of stuff is just looney when it comes to working with Linux. I mean things like this should not be this difficult to figure out. At least not when you compare to what it is like doing something like this in Windows. Not saying I would ever go back to Windows mind you. Never! But Linux sure has a long way to go before things become streamlined enough to allow most people go get their work done without all this fiddling around in command line this, command line that, and configuration file this or that. With files spread out all over the place in /var, /usr, /opt, ~/ and this or that other place with every program seeming to have little quirks of things that are done just a wee bit different than other programs. These wee bit things can take forever to figure out and drop productivity down the drain. Oh well. I still am all for Linux but man oh man...what an absolute pain it can be at times (sigh).

Thanks.

Carlos
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
This kind of stuff is just looney when it comes to working with Linux. I mean things like this should not be this difficult to figure out. At least not when you compare to what it is like doing something like this in Windows. Not saying I would ever go back to Windows mind you. Never! But Linux sure has a long way to go before things become streamlined enough to allow most people go get their work done without all this fiddling around in command line this, command line that, and configuration file this or that. With files spread out all over the place in /var, /usr, /opt, ~/ and this or that other place with every program seeming to have little quirks of things that are done just a wee bit different than other programs. These wee bit things can take forever to figure out and drop productivity down the drain. Oh well. I still am all for Linux but man oh man...what an absolute pain it can be at times (sigh).

I felt this way too for awhile, but you get over it ;) Yes, linux distrobutions in general need to work on having GUI's for configuring stuff. But you'll find that the more experience you gain the less often you hit a stumbling block. And don't judge linux's ease of use based on gentoo -- the only thing easy about gentoo is portage (makes getting new apps really simple). In just about every other respect SuSe or Mandrake is more user friendly. If you tried them you'd find a nice big Fonts icon in their control panels, just like in Windows.
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a number of posts online, most over a year old, that state that they are unable to locate the spadmin utility, and don't know how to add fonts.. Not sure what is different in the ximian product.. Or what advantages there are.. I am using the OOo 1.1.4 package, and it seems to use the same fonts as are available to X, without me having to separately add fonts to the openoffice system.. Unfortunately, I did not find any answers to any of the posts I mentioned.. You might try the ximian (novell) site, and see if there is anything posted in the forums there.. and post your result here when you solve this...

BOFH Excuse #295:
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely post the results when I solve this TheRAT. Novell's forums are a bit of a let down. They just aren't very active yet I guess that's understandable in view of how they recently bought out Suse and all. They probably won't have their act together for another 6 months to a year I am guessing. In terms of having some decent support forums and such available in more than just name.

The mailing lists having to do with Evolution are pretty sparse too (also a Novell product).

Anyway I'll keep at it until I solve this. Can't have my word processor that I plan to show off to potential clients running around with the usual poor quality Linux fonts that are available. Nothing in Linux beats Verdana, Trebuchet MS, Arial, and some of the other fonts from Microsoft though Bitstream Sans Sarif and some others come somewhat close. It's not so bad if the Linux fonts are all that one is accustomed to but having tried the Microsoft fonts in some other applications I now want them everywhere :).

Carlos
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages to using the ximian openoffice... rather than the OOo version??

I have had to deal with Novell software in a previous job, and they have generally been very good.. although you are probably correct in that it will take then a little while to get properly set up...

BOFH Excuse #295:
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've only just installed it so I can't rightly say all that might be of benefit but I will say this...under GNOME it fits very nicely with the general theme of GNOME. Much nicer than OpenOffice.org fit running under KDE. And it seems to load a lot faster than OpenOffice.org ever did. And that's running off of a much slower hard drive than my old system is on! (I'll transfer my entire system over to the faster hard drive and trash my old Gentoo when I have everything just the way I want it).

Just as a side note ....

After having run under KDE for a year or two and having encountered all manner of quirky behaviour through it culminating in the trashing of hundreds of my emails through KMail I switched to GNOME. There is no way I would recommend KDE for a production business environment any more.

Ximian GNOME also looks a lot nicer from the default install than OpenOffice.org did too.

Those are just very preliminary first impressions and may not stand up once I get it going and use it for a while.

Carlos
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interested in what you think of it after a bit of usage... I have always just used OOo for my tiny needs for an office package..

BOFH Excuse #295:
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then. My fonts are now working perfectly under Ximian-OpenOffice.

Here is what I did in retrospect and to sum it up.

I uncompressed and copied the fonts I wanted to add to the ~/.font directory of the user I normally log in as. For me that would be /home/carlos/.fonts. ~ stands for my home directory which in my case is /home/carlos. (Sorry for the hand holding here but some might read this who are not Linux savvy).

Okay...

I found an excellent thread on fonts and Ximian-OpenOffice if you want to read more on this at http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2004/08/msg00015.html

Ximian-OpenOffice does NOT use the spadmin utility to change it's own fonts or the fonts available from within it. That utility is soley used to set up printers used by OpenOffice.org and Ximian-OpenOffice and to set up font replacements for printing purposes that might not be available under OO or XOO.

Here is a quote from the thread...

Quote:

As part of the integration of Ximian's work, openoffice now uses
fontconfig to determine the installed fonts on your system. Fonts that
were installed using the 'spadmin' tool in a non-standard directory are
no longer supported. You should move those fonts to a directory that
fontconfig knows about, such as ~/.fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts.

This quote is from official Debian help files (which are apparently quite good).

Not sure what fontconfig is when compared to xft, xfs, X86Config and all the other googlegook Geek terms that are related to fonts under Linux, but apparently copying fonts into my ~/.fonts directory enabled fontconfig to see them. Which in turn was then seen by Ximian-OpenOffice. It seems that fontconfig automatically reads the font directories every once in a while to determine when and if new fonts have been added. Not sure but it seems like it does since I did nothing with a fontconfig anything to tell anything that I had copied new fonts into that directory.

To make the new fonts available to any user logging in other than myself, and who like me will want nice fonts in Ximian-OpenOffice, one must decompress and copy the fonts to /usr/local/share/fonts instead of ~/.fonts.

Here is another quote from Debian's help...

Quote:

The 'add font' functionality of spadmin is only necessary on Linux
because there was no standardised way to add fonts for the whole
system. The Debian packages are patched to use the fontconfig
mechanism, which provides a way for openoffice.org to find fonts
installed on the system. OpenOffice.org version 2 will use the
fontconfig mechanism too.

To change the fonts in Ximian-OpenOffice one must go into the GNOME menu Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Fonts dialog and change then there. Changes there will immediately be reflected in Ximian-OpenOffice. XOO does not have a means of setting it's own fonts independent of GNOME. It does enable one to specify a different font for words entered into documents, spreadsheets, and the like but there is no way, within XOO to set the fonts of menu icon text, menu options, and so forth. These fonts are able to be set only through the GNOME Fonts dialog as mentioned above.

The reason it seemed that my new fonts were not in XOO is because I was trying to change the fonts through XOO itselfl and could not find a way to do that. Indeed I mistook the Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> Fonts tab to be the place where the fonts could be changed. The reason they did not show up there was because the option "Non-proportional fonts only" was checked. By unchecking, that the other Microsoft TTF's showed up but it didn't matter because such a font selectionk, on closer inspection, was only for HTML and some other use and not for the XOO application itself.

Anyway my font problem is solved. It's still an abosulate pain to figure all this out, though it seems so simple now, but I think XOO is definitely moving in the right direction. Of streamlining and otherwise getting XOO to work well within GNOME.

As a side note XOO running under GNOME looks very, very sharp. Like part of GNOME. And it's speed of opening and otherwise seeing dialogs come up within it is nothing short of spectalur when compared to old OpenOffice.org under KDE. Running on the same computer under the same hardware but now using GNOME instead. It is very, very sharp looking and I highly recommend running XXO under GNOME instead of OpenOffice.org under either GNOME or KDE. GNOME itself has gotten very nice looking and very functional and is well worth switching to at this point from the standpoint of business production use right out of the box so to speak.

The changes between Ximian-OpenOffice and OpenOffice.org may be mostly cosmetic (though font rendering and fonts are installed is a big change) but in the eye of those beholding one or the other, who are not that familiar with what is actually underneath it all, those differences might make the difference between whether OpenOffice.org is perceived as a viable replacement for Microsoft Word (for example) or not. Eye candy and the look and feel of an application is SO important from a user acceptance standpoint!

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ximian OOffice uses fontconfig?
Well its about damn time.....
Fontconfig, if you recall from my above post, is a library used for selecting fonts. If openoffice uses it now, thats excellent, because it makes font configuring in openoffice much much easier.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorah for Ximian-OpenOffice, OpenOffice.org, and open source under Linux!! Progress!!

By the way here is another excellent thread I found http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/users/2004-February/013099.html It's a bit dated but very worthwhile to read though in terms of understanding some of the changes that are happening with font selection in OO and XOO.

Carlos
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Carlos... Would still be interested in the update, sometime in the future, of what you thought of the ximian package over your previous usage of the OOo package...

Might also be advisable to add this information in the Gentoo Wiki, maybe in the tips section...

Thanks.

BOFH Excuse #295:
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to remember to give you an update in the future TheRAT but don't know if I will be able to remember to do that in view of everything else I got going on :). Feel free to drop me a line through PM 6 months from now if you don't hear from me and I will be more than glad to let you know by then.

I'll look at the Gentoo Wiki and see if I might not be able to contribute something there on this.

Carlos
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a font-howto on the wiki, so you could look at adding to that perhaps.
Ive been thinking about adding to it, just to explain the difference between Xorg, fontconfig, xft, xfs and so on, as there seems to be a lot of confusion about the whole matter :)
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:
Ive been thinking about adding to it, just to explain the difference between Xorg, fontconfig, xft, xfs and so on, as there seems to be a lot of confusion about the whole matter :)

You can say that again! To think of all the time and energy that has been spent endlessly going over the various font technologies and how they interact with this or that program! And to think of how it all starts all over again the moment an application like Ximian-OpenOffice changes how it does things, however good or needed the change is, it's enough to confuse the heck out of even the best of us.

I suppose that goes with the nature of open source though since there is no central control of what everyone does such that every project does what ultimately seems best in their own mind. Resulting in 100 different and confusing ways to do things.

It is amazing how much the open source does come together on things as a whole but I think that's more the nature of having a central kernel underneath it all that almost forces some semblance of order on everyone who uses it, rather than a carefully thought out strategy.

Still the font issue sure does reveal one of open sources weaknesses I think in that there are several different ways of doing fonts with the end result that most users haven't got a clue.

Carlos
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not so much that there are too many ways to do things, its just that there is really a big lack of documentation on the whole issue.
The Xorg server's renderer is really defunct now, and most apps now use XFT to do their rendering. However, you dont tend to find mention of this anywhere.
Similarly, most people have fontconfig installed, in fact almost everyone will as its really a neccesary component of a system. But again, not many people know what it actually does, or how to use it to make their system aware of new fonts that theyve installed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: