Problem recording Verbatim 8X with a PX-716A and K3b
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparkster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Problem recording Verbatim 8X with a PX-716A and K3b Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this post must be here. If not, please, move it.

My DVD recorder is a Plextor PX-716A and to record CDs or DVDs I use K3b. I recorded DVDs "princo" and verbatin without problems, but when I try to record Verbatim -R 8X, I receive the following output:

output wrote:

Falló el OPC. Por favor intente a velocidad de grabación 1X
Error al comenzar: Input/output error

TRANSLATION:
OPC failed. Please, try at recording speed 1X
Error at the beginning: Input/output error

In the debug output there is the following:
debug output wrote:

Devices
-----------------------
PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117 1.03 (/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd, ) at /cdrom [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [Ninguno]
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.03 (/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd, ) at [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R] [Error] [SAO; TAO; En bruto; SAO/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A 1.01 (/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd, ) at /grabadora [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM] [Error] [SAO; TAO; En bruto; SAO/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.11.20
KDE Version: 3.3.2
QT Version: 3.3.4
Kernel: 2.6.9-gentoo-r12

growisofs
-----------------------
Using ALITA_ANGEL_DE_COMBATE_G000.AVI;1 for Alita angel de combate/Alita angel de combate Gunnm, Las Lágrimas De Un Ángel.avi (Alita angel de combate Gunnm, Angel Oxidado.avi)
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user request...
:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=5h/ASC=2Ch/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

growisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dao -dvd-compat -speed=8 -overburn -gui -graft-points -volid Patio_de_butacas_1 -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.20 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer K3b - Versión 0.11.20 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-sparkster/k3bizJhec.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-sparkster/k3bxUtc3b.tmp -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-sparkster/k3bMRKMeb.tmp

I also saw that my recorder is detected as a 6X device (it records at 16X). I tried also recording at 1X as recommends the output, but the error is the same. Can anybody help me?

Sorry for my bad english :P
Sparkster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem. It works if I specify incremental writing mode. There is no buffer info, but it works.
simon pants
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same OPC failure using a SONY OEM DVD Writer. I upgraded the firmware twice. Once to covert from OEM SONY DW-U10A to Non-OEM SONY DRU-500A, and then once more to set the latest firmware. I googled for the firmware to convert from OEM as this wasn't on the Sony site. Once I had a SONY DRU-500A I could then use the Sony firmware update (from their site) to set to the latest.

In the background whilst I was solving this problem I installed and configured IVMAN in accordance with the HowTo posted on Gentoo-Wiki.com. This in turn led to a conversion to udev system and a disabling of the fsdev automounted in the kernel. I also enabled the SCSI interface in the kernel (sorry not at home so can't be more specific).

Overall this solved the problem for me. This was on kernel 2.6.10 with latest (as of this post) k3b and all the supporting software.

For writing I used Auto which in turn preselected DAO mode - which worked very well.

Hope this helps,

SimonP
cventers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error you are receiving (sense key 5h, additional sense code 2c) is a "command sequence error". I have the same writer and get the same error. After some research into the subject, my best guess is this:

1. Plextor tests different vendor media on their drives, then programs "better" writing strategies than the optimal power calibration would automatically determine directly into the firmware.
2. When growisofs asks the drive to do an OPC, and the drive recognizes the media and knows that it has a writing strategy hardcoded by plextor engineers in its firmware, it issues a "command sequence error". Some various threads of discussion I've found via google seem to indicate that this behavior isn't necessarily anticipated by someone implementing MMC3.

The bottom line is this... writing *should* work in DAO mode. If you cd to /usr/portage/app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools/ and unpack the ebuild, you should be able to edit growisofs_mmc.cpp. Go to the vicinity of line 1206. You'll see something like this:

Code:

if (err==0x52700) // "WRITE PROTECTED"
    break;  // Plextor PX-712A?

add beneath that:

Code:

if (err==0x52C00) // Plextor PX-716A fails on OPC for known media
    break;

and merge the package. This will prevent growisofs from halting when the OPC fails, and provided that my assumptions and research are correct, the burn should continue normally. I'll verify it once I get home from work (I just actually ran into this yesterday and started researching it today). If I'm right, I'm going to submit the patch I found to bugs.gentoo.org; hopefully we can get a new plextor-friendly dvd+rw-tools ebuild.

http://www.plextor.com/english/news/opc.html says:

Quote:
Plextor drives incorporate a "write strategy" to enhance OPC. This write strategy utilizes a firmware-based catalog of factory tested and certified media. Random lots of media from a variety of vendors are tested under rigorous conditions to determine manufacturing quality. Those vendors who exhibit consistent quality are added to the catalog. The response of the tested media is measured, and the optimum starting value for the power range for best performance is added to the firmware settings. When the disc to be recorded is inserted, the vendor information in the ATIP is read and compared against the vendor information in the database. If the disc is on the supported list of media, the laser power is 'dialed' in using the established factory value, and then the drive performs OPC. By using the 'factory setting' as the starting point, and a narrower range of values to write the 15 frames, the laser is fine-tuned to ensure the best possible recording quality. Of course, if the disc vendor information is not listed in the catalog, the drive still performs OPC on the disc in the normal way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: