View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nosatalian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Stopping Entrance Reply with quote

I often need to switch between 24bit and 8bit color modes for a legacy application that only works in the latter. I have created a script to switch in the correct Xorg.conf file, but I need a way to stop entranced.

ps shows 2 related processes /usr/sbin/entranced and /usr/bin/entrance_login 13143

but killing these just freezes my computer.
Likewise so does executing /etc/init.d/xdm stop

What I need is a graceful way to stop entrance from popping up again after I kill X with ctrl-alt-backspace.

Actually this behaivor wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that (on my Radeon9000) my system will freeze if I try to directly enter X with only 8bit color.

I need to make sure that I have time to run "rmmod fglrx" between me killing the X server and entranced restarting it.

Ideally, rather than running a script to switch configs then typing ctrl-alt-backspace and then rmmod fgrlx (from framebuffer) and startX (or entrance) manually, I would like to be able to do this all at once, but it seems like by killing the X server I will kill the terminal running this script itself. Is it possible to background this?
kagato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your xorg.conf file you have your displays, Use CTRL - and + to cycle through your displays =3
nosatalian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

... that doesn't really apply here, but thanks...

I need away to change from 24bit color to 8bit color without freezing or restarting my machine.

If I try to just switch it will fail, thus the need to rmmod fglrx.

Also, I have yet to find a way to stop entrance without bringing down my computer.
nosatalian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Weird behavior Reply with quote

By swapping in a broken xorg.conf and then ctrl-alt-backspace, I can get entranced to stop coming up, then I can manually rmmod fglrx and replace the xorg.conf with the 256 color version.

This should do it, but somehow even after I rmmod fglrx I cannot startx with the kernel's radeon driver (without hard freezing at a black screen)

However, if I reboot it then works fine.
Its weird, shouldn't no trace of the old fglrx module exist after I remove it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: