Xilinx cable drivers for ISE_DS 13.2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZHQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Xilinx cable drivers for ISE_DS 13.2? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am trying to setup Xilinx ISE Design Suite to program a Virtex 6 (ML605) FPGA with my computer. I've got the Design suite installed and working just as described on the gentoo wiki but I need help for setting up the cables. I did a search on this forum and the few topics that have similar questions went unresolved...

I can't seem to get the cables to work. The wiki (and a few other websites) say that for ISE_DS 11 and earlier, you need to do a bit of hacking in order for gentoo to correctly recognize a certain library or something. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Xilinx_ISE_Webpack_11 also goes on to describe Xilinx's proprietary usblib that might fix these problems. Unfortunately, this is for version 11 and on 32-bit. I don't know if this applies to me (ISE 13, 64 bit).

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Xilinx describes 3 different methods one can try to get the cable to work. I'm fine with either 1) or 3) and I've tried to get both working, but there are problems that prevent me from successfully completing either.

1) Compile support for the Xilinx cable as a kernel module.

I am told to download a x4pc driver and compile it. It fails with this message:

Code:
Ioctl library = ioctl_3.a.
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.37-gentoo-r4/build M=/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.37-gentoo-r4'
  CC [M]  /home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.o
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c: In function 'xpc4_init_data':
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c:104: error: implicit declaration of function 'kmalloc'
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c:104: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c:112: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c: In function 'xpc4_release_data':
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c:132: error: implicit declaration of function 'kfree'
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c: At top level:
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c:235: error: unknown field 'ioctl' specified in initializer
/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.c:235: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr/xpc4.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/zhq/Documents/BRC/cable_drivers/linuxdrivers.2.6/xpc4drvr] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.37-gentoo-r4'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Do I need the correct version of gcc? Is the module not meant for my version of ISE_DS?

2) Kludgey 3rd party solution using a parallel port cable that would not really be useful even if I had gotten it working.

3) Compile a user-space xilinx cable driver library and preload it before you run Xilinx ISE DS

I can do this fine, but when I try and connect to the FPGA, Xilinx ISE DS tells me that the cable can't be found. The output is as follows:

Code:
GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
If you are using the Platform Cable USB, please refer to the USB Cable Installation Guide (UG344) to install the libusb package.
 Using windrvr6 driver.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
File version of /opt/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/xusbdfwu.hex = 1030.
 libusb-driver.so version: 2011-08-08 06:47:58.
Please run `source ./setup_pcusb` from the /opt/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/ISE//bin/lin64 directory with root privilege to update the firmware. Disconnect and then reconnect the cable from the USB port to complete the driver update.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport0).
 parport0:
 parport1:
 parport2:
 parport3:
 LPT1 Base Address set from env variable = 0.
 LPT base address = 0000h.
 LPT1 Ecp Address set from env variable = 400.
 ECP base address = 0400h.
LPT port is already in use. rc = FFFFFFFFh
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport1).
 LPT2 Base Address set from env variable = 10.
 LPT base address = 0010h.
 LPT2 Ecp Address set from env variable = 410.
 ECP base address = 0410h.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport2).
 LPT3 Base Address set from env variable = 20.
 LPT base address = 0020h.
 LPT3 Ecp Address set from env variable = 420.
 ECP base address = 0420h.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport3).
 LPT4 Base Address set from env variable = 30.
 LPT base address = 0030h.
 LPT4 Ecp Address set from env variable = 430.
 ECP base address = 0430h.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      0 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.
WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

I did run source ./pcusb. I think I need to do this every time I need to install a driver? Anyway, I don't know why the message still shows up...

Thanks for your help, guys!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: