Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - Gentoo 2004.3 & GCC 343
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dellaxim wrote:
!!! ERROR: media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre5-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 460, Exitcode 1[/code]
So i guess it is the problem from gcc 3.4.3.

Try the latest "~x86" version, that one will work with gcc-3.4.3.
dellaxim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that will do the trick!!!!

:D :D
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried installing with this method twice on my IBM Thinkpad R51 and have been spectacularly unsuccessful, after I reboot into GRUB and select Gentoo, there is a brief flash of text followed by a screen that is blank other than a cursor blinking at the bottom of the screen. When I installed on my desktop a had tons of problems with configuring GRUB and my fstab wrong so I'm fairly certain I did both correctly, and in any case i would expect SOME sort of error. Can anyone suggest what I might've done wrong?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without telling us what error messages are generated, we''re limited in our approach to guessing at possible problems. fail on first boot is often a kernel configuration problem. blank screens at boot are typically grub problems. without knowing the partition layout of your HD, the contents of your grub.conf and fstab files, there's no way that anyone can help you.
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bout that, here are my configuration files:

fstab: http://sio.midco.net/powderific/fstab
Grub.conf: http://sio.midco.net/powderific/grub.conf
Kernel Configuration: http://sio.midco.net/powderific/configuration26

I used Gentoo-dev-sources and set up with the -02 optimizations for pentium M, with Windows installed on the first partition. Is there somewhere I can find an error log?

If I messed up the kernel configuration, can I just go through those menus again and recompile without totally starting over? GRUB itself loads up with no problems, pretty splashscreen and everything. So I'm assuming I did something silly during configuration. Thanks for any help you can give!

edit for clarification: I used the mild optimization CFLAGS and mtune and -march=pentium m in my make.conf after installing the new gcc files(when we change the make.conf a second time and update everything), before that I used i686. In the kernel configuration I also selected Pentium M. I feel that this is perhaps where I went wrong? If so what would be the best step to start over at?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderific wrote:
If I messed up the kernel configuration, can I just go through those menus again and recompile without totally starting over? GRUB itself loads up with no problems, pretty splashscreen and everything. So I'm assuming I did something silly during configuration.

Yes. What is this discrepancy between the / partitions listed in your grub.conf and your /etc/fstab?

Your grub.conf says:
Code:
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

The 1st line "root ..." points to the /boot partition, which is listed as (hd0,1) = linux's /dev/hda2. This agrees with your fstab.

But the 2nd line in your grub.conf - particularly the "root=..." part - differs from your fstab, which says:
Code:
/dev/hda2      /boot      reiserfs      noauto,notail      1 1
/dev/hda4      /      reiserfs      notail         0 1
/dev/hda3      none      swap      sw         0 0

According to your fstab, your / partition is /dev/hda4 , but your "root=" part in grub.conf, which is supposed to point to your linux / partition, does not agree! Your "root=" in grub.conf is pointing to your /boot partition, in fact.

Most likely, you have a typo in your grub.conf. And I have pointed out the disagreeing part that needs to be changed. :P
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderific wrote:
When I installed on my desktop a had tons of problems with configuring GRUB and my fstab wrong so I'm fairly certain I did both correctly, and in any case i would expect SOME sort of error. Can anyone suggest what I might've done wrong?

New users have lots of problems with this installation method, but it sounds like you've gotten though the majority of it without too many problems. Now it seems that you're still having problems getting grub.conf properly configured, suggesting that you still haven't assimilated all of information that you were going through when you configured your desktop.

You've made the fatal error of being inconsistent. Instead of using the values in the guide, you incremented them by one, presumably because you have a windows installation on /hda1. This isn't a problem as long as you remember to consistently increment all of the values for /hdax whenever you encounter them. Unfortunatley, you've correctly incremented the values of /hdax in your /fstab file, but you failed to increment all of the values in your grub.conf file. In fact, you decremented some of the values in your grub.conf file instead of incrementing them.

as kimchi-sg noted, your grub entry is pointing to the boot partition instead of the root partition. in this case, you've correctly deviated from the layout in the guide by incrementing the value of hdax in fstab, but you've incorrectly deviated by decremeting the value in grub.conf that lists the root partition on /hda2 instead of /hda4.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, there are more problems in your grub.conf. :oops:

it makes absolutely no sense to have a statement like "default 1" when there is no option 1 available for booting. grub counts starting at zero, so default 1 points to the second kernel entry. unfortunately, you don't even have a second kernel entry. as a result, grub must attempt to boot your non-existent second kernel entry and fail, and then the "fallback 0" statement reverts to booting the existing kernel statement, thereby covering your mistake after a long delay.

finally, why do you have two different root() statements in your grub.conf file that don't agree?

powderific wrote:
Code:
timeout 30

default 1

fallback 0

splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

title Install GRUB into the hard disk
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

if you have windows on /hda1 and you execute that second boot option, you'll overwrite your windows boot partition and then windows won't boot. :(
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I need to do differently to do this install method without the separate boot partition - ie: /dev/hda1 = / and /dev/hda2 = swap ?

I thought I had a handle on it, but apparently not.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your grub would look like this
Quote:
title Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

and your fstab
Quote:

/dev/hda1 / FSTYPE defaults 1 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0

powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I fixed my sillyness with the fallback and "Install grub" things, and I set the grub.conf to agree with the fstab (which is correct). I've always had trouble figuring out which root was supposed to be which, so a big thank you for helping me out with that.

Even with this configured correctly, I still am unable to boot into gentoo. The system seems like it is about to boot up, and a bit of text flashes up so quickly that I can't read it, and then a blinking cursor appears in the bottom corner of the screen. After a few seconds it moves to the bottom middle of the screen, and then blinks away as nothing else happens. (I've let it set for quite some time like this and it hasn't done anything else).
kamisama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Simple question Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using Genkernel with this install method? I hate configuring my kernel, I always miss something. In standard installs genkernel ALWAYS works for me, as long as I use hotplug and coldplug. Will genkernel work with resierfs3.6 and the rest of this guide?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple question Reply with quote

kamisama wrote:
Has anyone tried using Genkernel with this install method? I hate configuring my kernel, I always miss something. In standard installs genkernel ALWAYS works for me, as long as I use hotplug and coldplug. Will genkernel work with resierfs3.6 and the rest of this guide?

Write down the output of lspci and lsmod while in the liveCD environment before chroot. This way you will never miss out on critical modules.

If you aren't experienced enough to do manual kernel configuration, you are definitely not experienced enough for this install method. Please stick to the official Installation Handbook instead.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderific wrote:
Ok, I fixed my sillyness with the fallback and "Install grub" things, and I set the grub.conf to agree with the fstab (which is correct). I've always had trouble figuring out which root was supposed to be which, so a big thank you for helping me out with that.

not a problem. i made more than my share of mistakes like those myself, and somebody was kind enough to help me along, so i'm just returning the favor.

Quote:
Even with this configured correctly, I still am unable to boot into gentoo. The system seems like it is about to boot up, and a bit of text flashes up so quickly that I can't read it, and then a blinking cursor appears in the bottom corner of the screen. After a few seconds it moves to the bottom middle of the screen, and then blinks away as nothing else happens. (I've let it set for quite some time like this and it hasn't done anything else).

just for the sake of completeness, post your grub.conf, and fstab just so that we can double-check them.

if they're not the problem, then the primary suspect should be a kernel configuration problem.

i'm still wondering... are you running windows on your first partition?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple question Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Write down the output of lspci and lsmod while in the liveCD environment before chroot. This way you will never miss out on critical modules.

If you aren't experienced enough to do manual kernel configuration, you are definitely not experienced enough for this install method. Please stick to the official Installation Handbook instead.

I kind of hate to say it, but I'm in 100% agreement with kimchi-sg on this subject -- It seems that we're spending an awful lot of time in this thread working on the same thing -- new user problems that are totally unrelated to the Stage 1/3 installation method -- simple problems like configuring grub.conf, fstab, and kernel configuration. Solving these types of problems require fundamental skills that every experienced Gentoo user should possess before attempting to use the Stage 1/3 installation method.

I truly appreciate all of the help that kimchi_sg has given me in fielding the requests for help in this thread. Unfortunately, it seems like alot of the problems we've been working on lately are basic problems that really belong in the general Installing Gentoo forum threads -- these are the kinds of problems that show that people who are encountering them don't have the sophistication that I think is required as a prerequisite for using the Stage 1/3 installation method. These are the kinds of questions that could be easily fixed by using the Search function.

The problem that comes from asking overly-simple questions in this thread is that the primary people who are providing the answers are likely to burn out and stop providing help. So if anyone else would like to chime-in and help with the simple questions (thanks hiel), or if new users could ask the simple questions in the main forum and use the Search function, it might prevent our burn-out. :idea:
kamisama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: uhh.. Reply with quote

It was a simple question whether someone had used genkernel with this install method. I've been using gentoo for a long time. I've installed it dozens of times including various different install methods.. including several installs using 2 of the methods your guide is based on.

I appreciate your help. I appreciate your guide. I do not appreciate your quick dismisal of my abilities, or my question.

Quote:

Definately? Don't bet on it.
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for adding to the flood of newbie questions, it seems that we perhaps get a little too excited about gentoo :) . I think that the best solution for me is to just stick with a regular installation on my laptop and do the stage 1/3 install on my desktop (I know my desktop system very intimately, whereas my laptop is somewhat mysterious). In any case, thank you very much for the help that you've been providing to myself and others new to gentoo, I've learned far more thought messing up this install than I have through numerous successful ones :D
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamisama wrote:
I appreciate your help. I appreciate your guide. I do not appreciate your quick dismisal of my abilities, or my question.

please don't take offense -- i don't know if you're offended by kimchi_sg's comments or by mine, but mine weren't directed at you personally.

in the 5 pages of problems we've helped people with since we've opened this support thread, the vast majority of them have borne no relevance whatsoever to the Stage 1/3 installation method -- the vast majority of them have been simple configuration problems that would have been asked by inexperienced users regardless of what installation method they had chosen. my comments were intented as nothing more than non-specific grumbling about being repeatedly asked questions that are totally unrelated to the guide.

with that said, no, i have never tried using genkernel with this guide. i guess that the basis for your question would be whether or not genkernel supports udev, and possibly resiserfs. i do not use genkernel, so i can not answer that question. if somebody else here can't chime-in, maybe you should ask it in the Kernel forum or search the Gentoo documentation for an answer. believe it or not, the answer is in the Gentoo Documentation Resources.

if that answer was too long, i'll shorten it: insofar as the guide specifically requires a self-compiled 2.6 kernel, the use of genkernel is not supported. :(

i apologize if telling you that genkernel is unsupported sounds like another quick dismissal of your question. although you may not "appreciate" my response as a suitable answer, unfortunately, this is the way that things will have to be because i don't have the resources to address everyone's problems, and we have to draw the line somewhere. IMHO, drawing the line at choosing not to follow the guide seems to be a good place to start. i guess that in making this decision i'll have to accept the fact that not everyone will appreciate the value of free advice.

Last edited by Bob P on Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamisama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't exactly offended. Just found it funny that someone could assume a lack in one subject area "definately" meant complete ineptitude in all subject areas.

You can see how it can be contradictory to think the simple questions are annoying yet take 3-4 posts talking about how simple they are to actually get someone to spill the answer to it.

I can see from your end how general gentoo install issues completely unrelated to 1/3 or nptl could get old fast.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and compile the kernel myself just to be sure. I just like genkernel because its just so damn easy.

I apologize if I came off offended, I consider the matter closed no more posts are needed as far as I'm concerned.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no hard feelings. :wink: although compiling a kernel is a bit daunting at first, it becomes easier every time that you do it, and after doing it a couple of times, it becomes relatively easy. to make things easy, follow kimchi's advice about looking at the output of lspci and lsmod (and possibly dmesg). knowing your hardware in detail is essential information before you start working on your own kernel. the good news is that an optimized kernel will blow away genkernel, and your machine will perform better as a result of all of your effort. have fun. :D
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
Your grub would look like this
Code:
title Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

I can't even get it to boot unless I make it:
Code:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz

...then I always get these errors:
Code:
* Mounting sysfs at /sys...
can't create lock file /etc/mtab~1113: Read-only file system (use -n flag to override)

* Checking root filesystem...
Failed to open the drive '/dev/hda1': No such file or direcotry

/sbin/rc: line 250: rc_splash: command not found
* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(

/dev/console: No such file or directory
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):
What's the score?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reisio wrote:
What's the score?

the score seems to be Grub 1, reisio 0. :wink:

but seriously, it looks like your're not getting anywhere because your filesystem is being mounted read-only.

some people have been having the /proc/mounts problem but i'm not sure why it effects some users but not others.

insofar as you have deviated from the Guide and this problem is not related to the Stage 1/3 Installation method in any way, this kind of problem would be better addressed in a separate thread in the Installing Gentoo forum. you're more likely to find a fast answer there. hth.

Last edited by Bob P on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo_CCCP wrote:
I have done a successful Stage3/1 install today.
Two notes :
-I had the /etc/mtab problem. It was quickly solved by a cp /proc/mounts /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab (on the LiveCD), as many people seem to be affected by this problem, may I suggest you put a note in your howto reminding the users to check this.

i just finished my second successful 1-on-3 today (now i have 2 machines running 1-on-3s, one using gcc 3.4 and the other i left with gcc 3.3) and copying /proc/mounts is what made it work. i was having the same errors as the others, namely:
Quote:
* Checking root filesystem [ok]
Failed to open the device '/dev/hda3': No such file or directory

/sbin/rc:line 250: rc_splash:command not found
* Filesystem couldn't be fixed Sad [!!]

/dev/console: No such file or directory
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup)

until i made the above copy

btw:
* i DON'T have devfs enabled in the kernel (not just not automount at boot, but no support at all)
* i did an etc-update before i that first fateful shutdown -r
.... and it didn't work..... so i booted the livecd and copied /proc/mounts and..... IT WORKED!! 8)

Last edited by torchZ06 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
insofar as you have deviated from the Guide and this problem is not related to the Stage 1/3 Installation method in any way
So you don't know the answer to this question?:
reisio wrote:
What would I need to do differently to do this install method without the separate boot partition - ie: /dev/hda1 = / and /dev/hda2 = swap ?
I certainly hope that isn't considered out of place here.
torchZ06 wrote:
copying /proc/mounts is what made it work
Thanks a lot - will try ASAP.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torchZ06 wrote:
i just finished my second successful 1-on-3 today (now i have 2 machines running 1-on-3s, one using gcc 3.4 and the other i left with gcc 3.3) and copying /proc/mounts is what made it work. i was having the same errors as the others, namely:
Quote:
* Checking root filesystem [ok]
Failed to open the device '/dev/sda4': No such file or directory

thanks for the feedback. i'm trying to get to the bottom of this /proc/mounts business so i thought i'd ask you a question:

/dev/sda4 refers to an SATA or a SCSI drive, doesn't it?

are both systems you've had problems with using SATA or SCSI drives?

FWICT it seems that the vast majority (if not all) of the complaints that have been solved by the /proc/mounts fix have been encountered by people who were attempting to adapt the Guide to install Gentoo on hardware that the Guide does not support.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: