View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biggles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Eclipse Memory Leak Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with a massive random memory leak in Eclipse. It runs fine for up to an hour, then suddenly the memory usage of X skyrockets until it's using over 500MB (I have 512MB of RAM and 256MB of swap). If I close Eclipse at this point (which takes a lot of grinding), X's memory usage drops to around 200MB. I never had this problem before I started using Eclipse yesterday. I have version 3.0.1-r2 installed, and I'm using the CDT C/C++ thing installed from the eclipse website through Eclipse's internal upgrader thing.

Any ideas?
Biggles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info: I tried using the binary from the eclipse website, but it had the same problem. This makes me think it's a problem with the Java GTK stuff causing memory leaks in X.
drawsmcgraw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the exact same version as you (CDT plugin version 2.0 also) and I'm running across issues when saving files. I managed to emerge after several issues but had to manually unzip the CDT plugin because Eclipse freaked when it tried. But I digress...

When I go to save something (anything, regardless of size) my CPU usage spikes to 99% for about five seconds, then recovers. I used to love Eclipse, but has it always had these kinds of issues?
drawsmcgraw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way.... are you fairly new to New Zealand? I've known of someone who goes by Biggles that used to live in Melbourne.....
Biggles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I've been here all my life. :)

I do notice occasional high spikes (up to 100%) in CPU usage, but only for a second or so. I had put these down to it being written in java. I had to run Eclipse as the root user to install the CDT plugin through its installer (just a permissions thing), but it worked fine there. What did it do when you tried?

I did, finally, track down the memory leak yesterday. If you use the gtk-qt theme engine for gtk apps, and you get huge memory leaks in eclipse, you probably need to change which theme engine you use for gtk. There's some kind of weird interaction between gtk, qt and java that produces a huge memory leak.
drawsmcgraw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wound up with the almighty "java.lang" error when I tried to install CDT neatly. It said nothing else. But it probably was a permissions issue as I wasn't root when I tried.

So... how exactly would I change the theme engine for gtk? If it matters, I'm in Fluxbox.

And I'm envious of you for living in New Zealand your whole life.
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drawsmcgraw wrote:

So... how exactly would I change the theme engine for gtk? If it matters, I'm in Fluxbox.

Code:

$ emerge gtk-theme-switch
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same problem with Azureus, and it really does seem to be the interaction between the gtk-qt theme and SWT/GTK somehow.

I've been having to restart Azureus 1-2 times daily due to excessive memory consumption (300MB and upwards, with 4 torrents running), and never thought of checking the theme. :-)

Anyway, I just passed a link to this post to the author of gtk-qt just to let him know, in case nobody else had done it yet.
drawsmcgraw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trejkaz:

Have you considered other bit-torrent clients? I tried Azureus and absolutely hated it. I just have BitTornado because it's really simple and easy to use and works well with partial downloads with ABC in Windoze.

Jengu:

Thanks. Emerging gtk-theme-switch now.
Biggles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trejkaz wrote:
I've noticed the same problem with Azureus, and it really does seem to be the interaction between the gtk-qt theme and SWT/GTK somehow.

I've been having to restart Azureus 1-2 times daily due to excessive memory consumption (300MB and upwards, with 4 torrents running), and never thought of checking the theme. :-)

Anyway, I just passed a link to this post to the author of gtk-qt just to let him know, in case nobody else had done it yet.

Good idea. Thanks for doing that.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drawsmcgraw wrote:
Trejkaz:

Have you considered other bit-torrent clients? I tried Azureus and absolutely hated it. I just have BitTornado because it's really simple and easy to use and works well with partial downloads with ABC in Windoze.

I typically run something like a dozen torrents at once, so single-torrent-per-window clients don't appeal to me.

QTorrent came pretty close to being perfect, though. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it minimised to the taskbar instead of the tray, so it got in the way and I tended to accidentally shut it down during work.
javock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there...

Thanks, I was having the same problem... although I would have to verify the leaks disapear :mrgreen:

Biggles wrote:
I do notice occasional high spikes (up to 100%) in CPU usage, but only for a second or so. I had put these down to it being written in java. I had to run Eclipse as the root user to install the CDT plugin through its installer (just a permissions thing), but it worked fine there. What did it do when you tried?

I get the same thing, I went to eclipse.org, they where saying its a java thing, that It takes forever to access the fs... also, for the permission thingy you could set a write-all repository for eclipse and install there, that's what I've done... as follows : open eclipse (duh!) / Help->Software Updates->Manage configuration / Select Eclipse Platform / right click / new / extension location and select a directory where you have write access / vualá / Install extensions on that directory... also, it goes better with gentoo as if you unmerge eclipse, the directory would not be deleted because of the extensions you installed using the eclipse upgrade or manually...

Trejkaz wrote:

Been there 1Gig leak in a few hours...

drawsmcgraw wrote:
Have you considered other bit-torrent clients?

Love the rss feed plugin... I get my shows on time 8) as soon as they come out!

Regards,
Javock.

-- La Renga. El final es donde partí
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: