Glibc bug in stage 1 install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Glibc bug in stage 1 install? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm doing a stage 1 install from an existing linux system (Suse, kernel 2.6.5-whatever), like I always do: Emerge a working "x86" gcc, then 2.6-headers, then enable nptl and emerge the "~x86" gcc, then bootstrap, emerge system and yadda yadda. This has always worked fine before, especially on another Suse 2.6.5 machine. Now, it craps out doing the "~x86" gcc, or more precisely nptl-enabled glibc, with the following message:
Code:

>>> Unpacking source...

* Checking gcc for __thread support ... yes
 * Checking kernel version (>=2.6.6) ... no

* You need a kernel of at least version 2.6.6
 * for NPTL support!

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125 failed.
!!! Function check_nptl_support, Line 646, Exitcode 0
!!! Kernel version too low!
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

8O What?! It can't check my kernel version during the glibc emerge, I'm doing a stage 1 install, ffs! I don't have a kernel!?! I am stumped. Are you not supposed to do stage 1:s with nptl anymore?
Karsten from Berlin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the error message: You have a SuSe-Kernel 2.6.5-whatever. The build-script takes your kernel-version out of the /proc (or whereever). It's correctly taken as 2.6.5. But for NPTL you need >= Kernel 2.6.6. So you have to upgrade your SuSe-kernel to >= 2.6.6. If SuSe has no higher kernel --> Bad luck for the moment. After you booted the first time your Gentoo you will probably have a higher kernel.
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I stated very clearly in the post, this procedure worked fine (twice, come to think of it) for other Suse machines with the same kernel version....

EDIT: ... less than two weeks ago, if memory serves. Seems very odd that glibc has gone from perfect compatibility to total incompatibility with 2.6.5 kernels in that short a time....

If this is indeed the case, then the current version of glibc makes it impossible to do an nptl enabled stage 1 on anything but machines with newer* kernels, which would mean you now have to do the install from scratch, compile and boot a dev kernel, and then immediately recompile gcc, toolchain system and what have you.
Needs a fix, IMHO.

*Note: This is the fully updated, stock Suse 9.1 kernel. Suse 9.1 was released less than a year ago....

Last edited by erikm on Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you upgrade the SuSE kernel with an official RPM? 2.6.5 is quite old already.

And it is not the fault of the glibc, it does mention you need a >=2.6.6 kernel. Having glibc tolerate 2.6.5 kernel versions would be deprecated behaviour.

It is NOT a bug if glibc bombs out stating that your system does not meet conditions that are clearly stated. It is expected behaviour. A bug would be if your kernel version was indeed >=2.6.6 and glibc still aborted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: