help checking a ext2 partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajarico
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: help checking a ext2 partition Reply with quote

After resizing the / partition I wanted to do a e2fsck but it won't let me because while i'm in gentoo the partition is busy. So i get the latest livecd only to see that there is no more ide-disk module so my SATA drive (where my root partition is stored) is not being listed as /dev/hdx, nor /dev/sdx.
I read on this thread that the 2004.2 livecd had that module, but currently is no longer available.

Is not a problem with my drive not being seen. It's listed on BIOS, and both gentoo and windows sees it.

So, it seems that there is no chance with livecd so i was thinking in forcing the periodic check of partitions. The question is how do i tell gentoo to check them, like when they've been mounted more than x times. Is there some key combination to do it?

:wink:
forgotten1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sixth field in your /etc/fstab tells fsck whether to check it or not. 0 = don't check.
Gentoo Handbook wrote:
The root filesystem should have 1 while the rest should have 2 (or 0 if a filesystem check isn't necessary).
Pajarico
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 0 in fstab, changed it to 1 and rebooted. Later changed to 2 and rebooted again. It still doesn't check the filesytem; i mean it does but only checks if the partition was correctly unmounted and displays "/dev/hde5 is clean" or something alike and avoids doing further checking.

What i want is a check like when you've mounted x times (i think every 20 mounts it forces a check) or like when you use the -f option with e2fsck.

Pajarico
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is possible to check the root partition ( / ) while gentoo is running? is possible to put the system to an appropiate runlevel and run ext2 tools from the RAM?

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: