grub again again
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: grub again again Reply with quote

Ok so a mod thought my post was a waste of time and stuck it in the duplicate section :( and pointed me to grub error thread.

Now i can understand this as it is common grub error, but i don't have a common setup so the little info given in the grub error thread has not helped.

my orginal thread is here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-300930.html

The problem is that i have 2 scsi drives setup as raid0 on an add on card, in the bios boot order option the array shows up as scsi2 pci add on card, there is also boot order option for bootable add on cards which is there all the time.

I have scsi2 pci addon card as 1st boot

I also have 3 sata drives 2 on nvidia sata and 1 on sil sata, these also show up a scsi with fdisk but in bios only the sil is shown as scsi1 for boot order, the nvidia drives are shown as chn 1 & 2 for boot order

now to further compound problem i have 2 drives on the iteraid setup as raid0, which also come up as scsi0 in bios boot order but depending on kernel driver can be seen as scsi or hd.

These drives are not accessable from livecd so grub does not know about them - i think?

Well it may as when i do tab completion in grub it give drive

0 1 2 3 4

Using tab completion in grub i can see from partiton layout that hd3 is my scsi array.

From what i have read so far the boot order can affect how grub see drives, so a hd3 can become hd0.

All things being as the should be then my setting as shown in original post should work? but they don't!

I did change the grub setup from

Code:

root (hd3,0)
setup (hd3)

to
Code:

root (hd3,0)
setup (hd0)

This got me past first error with grub now laoding but now i get

Code:

Booting 'Gentoo'
root hd3,0
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/ac12-kernel-2.6.10 /root=/dev/sdd5

error 15: file not found

press any key to continue....

When i do press a key i get grub boot screen showing Gentoo entry, trouble is this screen has lots of verticle lines making it impossible to do any editing of entry, and beside i really am lost as to why it can't find file.

Anyone help out before i duplicated again :)

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you set the root partition in GRUB keep pressing TAB to see what you can do.
If you do it right then eventually you will get a list of kernels.
You probably did not spell it exactly right.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: grub again again Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
When i do press a key i get grub boot screen showing Gentoo entry, trouble is this screen has lots of verticle lines making it impossible to do any editing of entry, and beside i really am lost as to why it can't find file.

GRUB is looking for the splashimage on the wrong harddrive. Get rid of the splashimage line in grub.conf and then you will have a readable menu.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: grub again again Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Ok so a mod thought my post was a waste of time and stuck it in the duplicate section :( and pointed me to grub error thread.

His point is that you should post your complaint in that topic. Do not start a new topic when an old one already exists.

For that reason, expect this topic to end up in the same warm and friendly heap as its predecessor. ;-)
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm - I might have an issue with that kimchi_sg. Like yourself (apparently) I keep an eye out for boot problems as it is an interest and I may be able to help.
One of the few areas I might.

The grub error collection I don't bother keeping current with. As far as I'm concerned, that should be comments on the sticky provided (which gets updated as needed), not new problems like arrays.
I might be wrong, but I'm sure as hell not going to plow through 14 pages of "me too" to find out.

As for carpmans issue, sorry, I haven't tried raid arrays yet - doesn't offer sufficient benefit for me to bother. Hopefully some-one else can help.
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: grub again again Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
carpman wrote:

His point is that you should post your complaint in that topic. Do not start a new topic when an old one already exists.

For that reason, expect this topic to end up in the same warm and friendly heap as its predecessor. ;-)
On the other hand, this is way out of the ordinary as a set up to end up lost in a mega thread like the sticky grub error thread. Personally, I find 15 page threads a pain to plough through and would have thought that something 'special' in any sense ought to receive special treatment?

Just my 2c's.

PS. Sorry I can't help carpman. Remove the splashimage as cyrillic says and then play on the grub command line until you manage to boot. Your problem seems to be that grub is being pointed to the wrong drive/partition. You seem to have a large farm with many pens and sorting out the nomenclature to grub's liking should be the way out of this problem (I think). Good luck.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Ok so a mod thought my post was a waste of time and stuck it in the duplicate section

You are missing the point of the duplicates forum. Once you read https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-18359.html you will also know that you are expected to write a pm to the moderator who moved your thread to dups if you think it was a wrong decision. Another option is asking in the other thread, but reposting certainly is not an option.

carpman wrote:
Code:
Booting 'Gentoo'
root hd3,0
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/ac12-kernel-2.6.10 /root=/dev/sdd5

error 15: file not found

Check that in /boot a symlink boot points to /boot, or remove the redundant boot/ part in the kernel line from grub.conf (which you didn't post in any of the threads...). Also make sure that you are on the right hard disk and not the ubuntu one.

syg00 wrote:

The grub error collection I don't bother keeping current with. As far as I'm concerned, that should be comments on the sticky provided (which gets updated as needed), not new problems like arrays.
I might be wrong, but I'm sure as hell not going to plow through 14 pages of "me too" to find out.

Nobody is expected to read 15 pages of one thread. Usually reading the first page of the thread solves your problem, otherwise one probably gets help when replying and asking there. Think about making these 15 pages individual threads. You'll end up with more than 150 threads with more or less the same subject. Imagine these showing up in a search result.

MickKi wrote:
On the other hand, this is way out of the ordinary as a set up to end up lost in a mega thread like the sticky grub error thread. Personally, I find 15 page threads a pain to plough through and would have thought that something 'special' in any sense ought to receive special treatment?

Besides the above carpman's problem doesn't seem to be related to a fancy raid setup.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, guys sorry did mean to get ant trouble just frustrated at not getting things working.

Tried suggestons from this thread and got clear grub screen so was able to try alternatives.

Piecing things together it seem that disk layout in live cd bares no resemblence to what it is on booting the install.

In livecd boot my scsi array is sdd, but on booting install it now becomes sda !!

What a nightmare :)

Anyway thanks to everyone for help and hope thread helps others out with same problem.

To round up:

livecd see array as sdd

but on boot is seen as sda

Code:

grub
root (hd3,0)
setup (hd0)

Code:

grub.conf
root (hd0,0)
kernel /ac12-kernel-2.6.10 root=/dev/sda5

Code: