Promise FastTrak SX4000
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brockmasterflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Promise FastTrak SX4000 Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm trying to install Gentoo on this Promise card, however it can't "see" the hard drives connected to the controller.

Any ideas would be great!

-Brock
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# modprobe sata_sx4
# fdisk -l

ps. If the LiveCD you are using does not have this module, you may want to try a newer CD.
brockmasterflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, however I still can't seem to see the drives. I boot the hard drives up, which had a previous version of Red Hat 8 on it. I checked to see what Red Hat used as a driver, according to lsmod the card used scsi_mod, so I guess I'll have to look for that.

Any other suggestions would be excellent, I don't want to put Fedora :evil: on here, but if I can't get Gentoo installed by the weekend thats what I'll have to do :cry: .
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of the card are you using? Is this the ATA or SATA version? The ATA version requires 2.4 kernel and modules compiled from source.
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is rather old yet there is no end to the story. I'm interested because I could not get the SX4000 to work under Fedora 4.

The binary module from Promise is for the 2.4 kernel, and the partial sources that are floating around just don't want to build with current tools. That's why I'm putting Gentoo on this server instead, to get the latest 2.4 kernel for compatibility with the Promise binary module, and still install the latest OS packages.

The suggestion to use the sata_sx4 module is incorrect, because this is not an SATA card, it's a RAID card.

Is anyone else successfully using it under Linux? I'll post here with my results.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brendaniabbatis wrote:
The suggestion to use the sata_sx4 module is incorrect, because this is not an SATA card, it's a RAID card.

The RAID function is done in software by the binary Promise driver. The only real reason to use this driver is to maintain Windows compatibility on a dual-boot machine.

I assume you will not be installing Windows on this server of yours, so it would be much better to use the kernel's native RAID drivers rather than the Windows compatible one from Promise.
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up, and purchased some plain IDE controller cards, and I am doing software raid. I have enough CPU in this box that is ok. I have gone to just mirroring instead of raid 5 though. Anyone want a raid(ish) card?
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:

The RAID function is done in software by the binary Promise driver. The only real reason to use this driver is to maintain Windows compatibility on a dual-boot machine.

I assume you will not be installing Windows on this server of yours, so it would be much better to use the kernel's native RAID drivers rather than the Windows compatible one from Promise.

Hm, I didn't consider software RAID. I did try unsuccessfully to use /dev/hdc, hde, hdg to see if the kernel was even seeing the ATA controllers, but I don't remember if it was with sata_sx4 compiled into the kernel. What I ended up doing was building the module from the partial sources with the 2.4.31 kernel, and it sees the card and the array, but when I tried to format /dev/sda1 it kernel panicked. So I've wiped out the system partition and am loading RedHat 9 to see if that works any better.
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sata_sx4 module would never work because this isn't an sata card. I think there is an sata version of the card, but this isn't one.

Anyway RedHat 9 gave me the same trouble, so just to be sure I tried Windows 2000, and sure enough I'm getting errors on format under Windows as well, so in my case there is something wrong with the hardware. Otherwise I would say Gentoo Linux is an excellent solution for this card, allowing use of the 2.4 kernel with current packages. Promise really dropped the ball expecting users to stay with RedHat 9 for all eternity.

It is necessary, however, to build the module from the partial sources found here. The binary from Promise expects a specific version of the kernel. The other nice thing about using Gentoo is you can get the latest (and most stable) version of the 2.4 kernel and build the module to go with it.
BodOrange
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have one of these cards soon as part of a lot. I was wondering if I can use it, without RAID, with standard 2.6 kernel simply to connect additional hdd's?
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodOrange wrote:
I might have one of these cards soon as part of a lot. I was wondering if I can use it, without RAID, with standard 2.6 kernel simply to connect additional hdd's?

Unless it's an SATA card, no, not with the SX4000.
keving
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brendaniabbatis wrote:
BodOrange wrote:

Unless it's an SATA card, no, not with the SX4000.

The SX4000 is an IDE raid card. The SX4100 is the SATA raid card. I shall be trying to install gentoo on a system with an SX4100 in tomorrow, so any pointers would be good. I'll post results as soon as I can.
sirber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a SX4100 and I am unable to make it work. Even the module from Promise seg fault :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: