View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mieasa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: KDE-3.3.0 Compilation & Installation queries Reply with quote

I am a noob to Linux. These are the things I did before I didn't see KDE desktop up and running in my PC.

1. Compiled & Installed Gentoo Linux 2.6.9 -r1 kernel from stage3 livecd for AMD64.
2. Downloaded packages-amd64-2004.3.iso image into my PC and created a packages CD.
3. Logged on as root.
4. Inserted Gentoo CD Package in the drive (and DID NOT do /mnt/cdrom)
5. export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom/packages"
6. emerge --usepkg kde

Since I didn't mount CD drive, emerge started downloding from one of mirror and started compiling KDE. It went on for 6 hours without any problems. I assumed that once the compilation is over it will automatically fire the installation of KDE and I should see nice graphical desktop environment. But it did not happen.

After the compilation is over successfully it stopped at bash's command prompt. I don't know how to proceed further.

I am wondering what version of KDE will be installed in my PC because emerge used internet to download and install KDE. Also will it have any impact of working with 2.6.9 r1 version of kernel?
ninjabadger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE runs on top of either Xorg or XFree86, if you did emerge kde then you will have installed Xorg on your system (good). You need to set it up to your own system.

as root user

run
Code:
xorgconfig

You will need to have some idea of what specification your monitor is and what graphics card you have (dont worry about 3d drivers atm, just use the basic nv ones for nvidia (or the ati equivelent or other vendor ones)

once you have done this you can try typing

Code:
startx

this will bring up a basic xsession with a console window, you can run any apps from here but you want kde, dont blame you. in the command line

Code:
rc-update add xdm default

This line adds xdm (the x login manager to your default run level (so it starts at boot)

Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

This line sets xdm to kdm, kind of like KDEs version of xdm (looks nicer)

You should now have a graphical login screen from which you can login to kde, or any other desktop environment.

Good luck!

Any problems getting X up and running just ask again
mieasa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: KDE-3.3.0 Compilation & Installation queries Reply with quote

All the steps mentioned in the code works except for configuration of my ATI All-in-wonder XT-9600 when using xorgconfig.
This video card has 128K DDR but xorgconfig exits with fatal error "Invalid Memory size" when I enter 128K for total memory. Any clues?

I had to enter 256K to bring my KDE desktop environment without any problem though my video card has 128K DDR memory.
ninjabadger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try the ati drivers

Code:
emerge ati-drivers

You will need to setup x for those (backup your old xorg.conf)

go here for instructions on that www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers

it makes a ati custom xorg and enables 3D acceleration

No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: