Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lexmark printing on AMD64? (Or is this crazy talk??)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rookbluff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Lexmark printing on AMD64? (Or is this crazy talk??) Reply with quote

Dudes,

I am trying to get my z65 printer setup on my new AMD64 gentoo system. I was cruising through the steps provided by CdWhistler in this discussion thread topic
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-118732.html
, but I am unable to run the printer utilities in step 14 or print anything. In other words, I am failing at step 14 mentioned below.

Quote:
11.Check to see if the driver detects your printer:
root@host lib # /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35

12.Output should look similar to this:
direct z35:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

13.If it says anything about missing libraries, make sure they are installed and symlinks were created correctly.

14.Run the paper alignment utility to make sure it is working:
root@host lib # /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities

My output from step 12 is correct--the printer is recognized:
Code:

root@foobox backend # ./z65
direct z65:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z65" "Lexmark Printer"

But when I try to run z65 utilities as in step 14 I am getting the following error:
Code:
root@foobox backend # ./z65 utilities
ioctl: Invalid argument

I have no idea what "invalid argument" means here. My printer and the drivers are detected by cups and I can set everything up through the cups web gui, but I can't print a test page or use lp to print one.

It has been suggested in another thread that the problem might be that the lexmark drivers are 32-bit, and my 64-bit cups program cannot communicate with them. (That discussion is here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-251035.html)
Is this junky printer useless for my AMD64 system, or is there hope? :lol:

If this is a big waste of time just let me know and maybe someone can suggest a printer that works great with AMD64 gentoo system...

Thanks for any ideas on this! :D
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that this is happening because of the lack of 32-bit ioctl the printer driver expects (like being already said in another thread). I've been seeing the ioctl related problems all the time in the 32-bit applications running on the native 64-bit systems (mostly games).

As for the suggestion, I have HP DeskJet 8745, for which CUPS hasn't got native driver (or PPD), but I did use a generation smaller PPD (86xx something), which works fine for text and image printing. I wouldn't suggest this printer if it isn't for the price of it (one can buy it for under 60€).

Cheers

Don't have a childhood hero? How about Rob Hubbard http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/tcworh/profile.htm
rookbluff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully built a 32-bit cups and run it on 64-bit systems to talk to crappy printers with 32-bit drivers?
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to get my Epson 1280 to work with my amd64 system using the gimp-print drivers. So I would expect that any printer that is supported by the gimp-print drivers should be fine. This should give you a whole range of printers to look at to find something that is right for you.
kidders
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rookbluff wrote:
Has anyone successfully built a 32-bit cups and run it on 64-bit systems to talk to crappy printers with 32-bit drivers?

After a bit of a struggle I managed to do just that and got my Lexmark P704 to work using the cups drivers from http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/. The only snag is that I wound up having to do it in a chroot-ed 32bit environment (there's probably a smarter way, but I'm a newbie). If you still haven't managed it, I can post my solution.
Ert3R}
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidders wrote:

After a bit of a struggle I managed to do just that and got my Lexmark P704 to work using the cups drivers from http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/. The only snag is that I wound up having to do it in a chroot-ed 32bit environment (there's probably a smarter way, but I'm a newbie). If you still haven't managed it, I can post my solution.

can you explain how did you do? have you installed a 32bit-cups?
tnx
kidders
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I did. Here's roughly what I've done ...

I created a /mnt/chroot, did tar -xvzf stage3-x86-2004.3.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/chroot/ and fiddled some of /etc to make a 32-bit environment. You may know how to do the next bit already, but just in case ...

Code:
mount -t proc proc /mnt/chroot/proc/

... lots of things need /proc to be there

Code:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/chroot/dev/

... the way I understand things, having the same /dev in both environments is sensible

Code:
linux32 chroot /mnt/chroot /bin/bash

... enter the 32-bit environment

Code:
uname -m

... just checking! The output should be i686 I suppose :-)

Because I'm a newbie, I had a bit of trouble at this point, trying to decide how to make 'emerge cups' work. I went with ...

Code:
make.conf changes:

CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=i686 -march=athlon -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

I'm sure there's too much stuff here, but i did ...
Code:
emerge sync
emerge --update portage gcc automake autoconf libtool
emerge ghostscript cups

Unfortunately, this means Xorg goes on :-( Maybe someone knows of a way to avoid having to do that. Now for the drivers. My printer is Z700-series compatible; dunno if those drivers'll suit you. I did this from outside the chroot-ed environment.

Code:
mkdir /mnt/chroot/root/lexmark
cd !$
wget http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/z700llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
wget http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/lexmark-z700-cups-driver-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm

rpm2targz z700llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
rpm2targz lexmark-z700-cups-driver-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm

tar -xzvf z700llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm -C /
tar -xzvf lexmark-z700-cups-driver-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm -C /

At this point, I just wanted to know if I was wasting my time or not and, because I was having trouble getting the CUPS web admin thingy to authenticate, I commented out a few things from /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and made a whopping great security hole. I imagine it was just because I didn't emerge something I should have. Anyhow, back inside the chroot-ed env ...

Code:
cupsd

Now I visited http://localhost:631/ and added a printer to usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (or wherever) and printed a test page. Hey presto! One thing worth noting though is that the inkset should be set to CMY (not CMYK).

Hope that helps you.

Ert3R} wrote:
kidders wrote:

can you explain how did you do? have you installed a 32bit-cups?
tnx
Ert3R}
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx...magically my Z35 works now :)

kidders wrote:

Unfortunately, this means Xorg goes on :-( Maybe someone knows of a way to avoid having to do that.

Code:
USE="-X -gtk -ipv6 -python -readline -nlsl" emerge -pv ghostscript cups

bye 8)
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to get my Lexmark X63 printer to print from my 64 bit laptop. The X63 is an all-in-one, but only printing works under linux. Scanning is no-go, and copy works without the computer.

I set it up the same way I had setup my desktop system: using the gnome or KDE add printer, and using the gimp-print Z52 or Z53 driver.

I am able to print fine from open office, but maybe thats because its also 32 bit? Or perhaps the gimp-print driver gets compiled as 64 bit and runs natively? I don't know how it works or why, but it does... Don't have my laptop right now to test it either...

Then it's hilarious.
Ert3R}
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerranAce007 wrote:
I am able to get my Lexmark X63 printer to print from my 64 bit laptop. The X63 is an all-in-one, but only printing works under linux. Scanning is no-go, and copy works without the computer.

I set it up the same way I had setup my desktop system: using the gnome or KDE add printer, and using the gimp-print Z52 or Z53 driver.

I am able to print fine from open office, but maybe thats because its also 32 bit? Or perhaps the gimp-print driver gets compiled as 64 bit and runs natively? I don't know how it works or why, but it does... Don't have my laptop right now to test it either...

your all-in-one printer seems to be unsupported by lexmark (it does not release driver of this device for linux),by sane and by gimp-print.
since you can print using z52 or z53 driver from gimp-print,you can think that your all-in-one is composed by a z52 or z53-like printer plus a scanner alredy supported by sane. I think you can try to use some sane-backend (x70 and x73 seem to be in good status,while the others are quite unsupported :( ).

good luck.
bye
kidders
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ert3R} wrote:
Code:
USE="-X -gtk -ipv6 -python -readline -nlsl" emerge -pv ghostscript cups

bye 8)

Oops :oops: ... don't I feel stupid.
Thanks, shuda thought of that!