How to fix unconfinous files on ext3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mroofka
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: How to fix unconfinous files on ext3 Reply with quote

I have problem with uncontinous files on one of my disks. I have about 15% uncontinous files and it still raising. The fsck ony shows that somethint is not wright but it doesn't fix it. I don't know what to do. Witch program should I use to fix it on ext3. Which programs should I use on ext3 and reiserfs to finding ane fixing diferent filesystem problems?

Thanks in Adwance.

Pozdrawiam

"Ready for Anything; Prepared for everything; Surprised by Nothing !"

Last edited by Mroofka on Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
_never_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you need to unmount the filesystem to check (or mount it read-only - but I would unmount it completely). If it's your root filesystem, do this from some bootable Linux CD like the Gentoo LiveCD.

Then for ext2/3, do the following:

Code:
e2fsck DEVICE

If this doesn't work, try:

Code:
e2fsck -p DEVICE

If it's ReiserFS, do this:

Code:
reiserfsck --fix-fixable DEVICE

Mroofka
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thakns _never_

by accident I've found the e2defreag on knoppix when I was checking may / partition :)... This program solved my problem now I have 0% fragmentation :)... I regret that in not in the portage tree I will heve to compile It my self. I still wonder how to check the framentation on reiserfs because the reiserfsck doesn't say enything about it.

Pozdrawiam

mnxAlpha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might have the wrong idea here. Unlike certain other operating systems with broken file systems, most Linux filesystems do not require defragmentation. Ever. As long as you keep the disc less than 75% full, your filesystem will not suffer from excessive file fragmentation, and thus performance will not decrease. If your disk becomes filled past that mark, performance will suffer. That's true on ext3, and doubly true on more modern filesystems like ReiserFS, Reiser4, JFS, XFS...
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mroofka wrote:
Thakns _never_
by accident I've found the e2defrag on knoppix when I was checking may / partition :)... This program solved my problem now I have 0% fragmentation :)... I regret that in not in the portage tree I will heve to compile It my self. I still wonder how to check the framentation on reiserfs because the reiserfsck doesn't say enything about it.
Pozdrawiam

A word of warning... http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2004/05/msg00315.html
mvh
_never_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mroofka wrote:
by accident I've found the e2defreag on knoppix when I was checking may / partition :)... This program solved my problem now I have 0% fragmentation :)... I regret that in not in the portage tree I will heve to compile It my self. I still wonder how to check the framentation on reiserfs because the reiserfsck doesn't say enything about it.

The reason why this is not in the Portage tree is most certainly that nobody needs it. What mnxAlpha is absolutely right. I have ReiserFS and have only 3 GB of 56 GB free. I don't know how much fragmented my filesystem is as I don't know of any way to check this, but it is like two years old now. Never got slower in that time.
Mroofka
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I know the answer I was cosed by full disk I have small disk and sometimes I forgot to copy data to another partition. Few times I have whole disk used by data :)

Pozdrawiam

NotCourse6
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnxAlpha, you say that JFS is included in the set of filesystems that automatically defrag themselves. My issue is that I need to add another partition to my hard drive (at the end, of course) and I want to force a defrag so that I can be certain that all my files are safe and kosher. What command can I use to do this? Also, here's my partitioning scheme:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 3468 26218048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 * 3469 3473 37800 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 3474 3540 506520 83 Linux
/dev/hda4 3541 5168 12307680 83 Linux

So can I simply shorten /dev/hda4 from the "End" side to free up another 1GB for /dev/hda5? Ooo, I think all these guys are primary partitions as well. I'll have to stick an extended one in there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: