a question about metalog
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkriger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: a question about metalog Reply with quote

Hi,
I've this doubt. I've configured metalog to write on xxx file all the logs that a program yyy write. However this yyy program use a zzz lernel module that also write log.
So my is will the logs that zzz write go to xxx or will it go to /var/log/kernel ? TIA

Regards,
Julio
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your is a problem I just can't parse man :-)

After couple of retries I think I understand your question, so: /var/log/kernel should contain kernel specific logs. This means if you use your zzz, the kernel module generated entries will go to kernel's log, otherwire, you'll get that in the application log. There must be some prioratization support for metalog as well :-)
jkriger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbjr wrote:
So your is a problem I just can't parse man :-)

After couple of retries I think I understand your question, so: /var/log/kernel should contain kernel specific logs. This means if you use your zzz, the kernel module generated entries will go to kernel's log, otherwire, you'll get that in the application log. There must be some prioratization support for metalog as well :-)

More or less. In /var/log/kernel should contain kernel specific logs. I would like that zzz logs go to the xxx log file, instead of going to /var/log/kernel. But I don't know how to it :(

PS: It doesn't matter if it's metalog or syslog, any logger is the same to me.
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure, but afaik metalog works the way that you specify a program name, then a logfile where the specific information should be stored.
Did you try to specify your particular kernel module and set that to that same exact file? I think you can create a pattern which describes your module, however, this will not prevent that module to get logged 2 times (in zzz and kernel as well).

HTH,
jkriger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbjr wrote:
Well I'm not sure, but afaik metalog works the way that you specify a program name, then a logfile where the specific information should be stored.
Did you try to specify your particular kernel module and set that to that same exact file? I think you can create a pattern which describes your module, however, this will not prevent that module to get logged 2 times (in zzz and kernel as well).

HTH,

I haven't try it yet. However I want to "split" the logs that the kernel module generate. I mean, I have 2 programs, say A and B, that use the same module, and both write to differents logs files (log_A and log_B), so I would like that the logs of program A and the interaction with the kernel module go to log_A and the logs of program B and the interaction with the kernel module go to log_B.
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omfg :-) well, that sounds something you'll need the Metalog forums/lists for :-) However, you'll have to check how advance patterns you can use, since Metalog's logging is based on those, not on actual software->kernel interaction :-/ afaik :-)
jkriger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbjr wrote:
omfg :-) well, that sounds something you'll need the Metalog forums/lists for :-) However, you'll have to check how advance patterns you can use, since Metalog's logging is based on those, not on actual software->kernel interaction :-/ afaik :-)

I going to ask them. Thanks anyways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: