fstab help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yairgo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: fstab help Reply with quote

i konw this is probably a dumb question but ive searched for it but the search is too broad and i cant get any help on irc, what do i need to put as the line in my fstab file for my windows partition

i konw its /dev/hda1 but after that i am lost. im tryin to install so i dont have an error or anything, just trying to set up the file
Frop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: fstab help Reply with quote

yairgo wrote:
i konw this is probably a dumb question but ive searched for it but the search is too broad and i cant get any help on irc, what do i need to put as the line in my fstab file for my windows partition

i konw its /dev/hda1 but after that i am lost. im tryin to install so i dont have an error or anything, just trying to set up the file

Code:
/dev/hda1               /mnt/windows_c  ntfs            defaults        0 0

Make sure the directory (in this case /mnt/windows_c) exists, you can name it whatever you want, just adjust the line in your fstab to match. Also, if its fat32, use "vfat", not "ntfs".
caslca
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ntfs, make sure you use "ro" instead of "defaults" - you don't want your NRFS-write enabled kernel to write to an ntfs partition
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about NTFS partitons, you might want to mount it with the ro option as well, since writing to an NTFS partition from Linux is risky.

EDIT: Damn, took the words right out of my mouth. Well just to add something additional since my previous comment is now a repeat, I build my kernel with NTFS write support and not read support, just to make sure I don't make any mistakes. If you really want to write to your NTFS partition from Linux you might want to look into the captive ntfs project. I've never tried it, but It uses files from a Windows installation to give Linux "native", and therefore as error proof as windows NTFS write support.
Frop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Just a note about NTFS partitons, you might want to mount it with the ro option as well, since writing to an NTFS partition from Linux is risky.

EDIT: Damn, took the words right out of my mouth. Well just to add something additional since my previous comment is now a repeat, I build my kernel with NTFS write support and not read support, just to make sure I don't make any mistakes. If you really want to write to your NTFS partition from Linux you might want to look into the captive ntfs project. I've never tried it, but It uses files from a Windows installation to give Linux "native", and therefore as error proof as windows NTFS write support.

Thankfully even if you enable writing in the kernel, right now its very limited, you can only write to an already existing file and the data has to be the same size as the existing file. (though that sounds like an excellent setup to hose, say, a dll you're trying to replace<g>)

Also another thought... besides ro, you should add umask=000 if you want users other than root to be able to access it, most ntfs drives get mounted 077 by default.. so.. so far we got...

Code:
/dev/hda1               /mnt/windows_c  ntfs           defaults,ro,umask=000      0 0

Adjust umask to whatever you feel is needed (I dont know how 'secure' you want to lock down your system)
check [url]http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_MS_Windows_partitions_(FAT,NTFS)[/url]

BTW, Sith, Captive works great, but don't plan on say, playing movies or copying large files around off the ntfs drives, it's write speed is measured in *kbs* per second lol, around 400 kb on my system, read aint much better. OK for mp3s and such, but not movies or cd writing/dvd production. And it uses your cpu heavily when reading/writing

PS... slightly OT, but has anyone used Paragon's ntfs driver? Captive-NTFS is nice, but its sloooow, and needs a lot of hoop jumping (I know the current ebuild does it for you..but still..) to get it to work in modern kernels since LUFS no longer being developed and dropped from most kernels, and the author of captive has abandoned it. The lufis from the FUSE project is only a halfway solution...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: