Before I install gentoo...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kLUMSY bOT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Before I install gentoo... Reply with quote

I have a few questions. But first, sorry, I know that this has *probably* been posted before. This search funciton is a joke right?

I am planning to install gentoo on my lovely new pc. Ive put it on a simpler machine, but now with a few advancements, I'm not 100% as to how to do things. My questions:
  • What drivers do I use for my x700pro?
  • I have an unusual disk setup, due to physical and ide channel limitations. My SATA disk has windowsXP (ntfs) on the first partition, and a fat32 on the second partition. I have my old IDE disk on GigaRaid, where i plan to install gentoo. Are there any problems with gentoo on gigaraid? how will the drives be labeled?
  • What will i use for my grub configuration? Is it possible/wise to dual-boot from a GigaRaid disk? how will grub label the disks?
  • Is reiserfs4 a wise choice? Is it stable/newb friendly enough for me to use?

Thanks in advance.... and dont go away I'm sure I will have more questions to come :)
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your graphics card: There's an ATI driver in portage that should (not sure though) work with your card. For Linux, I'd very much recommend a NVidia card though, it's *much' faster from my experience.

For your FS question: I wouldn't recommend Resier4 yet, it's supposed to be stable, but you never know. For example, VMware does not work on a Reiser4 partition, and there might be other apps causing problems. I'd recommend Reiser3, it's the default in many distros, very fast (if you have a fast CPU) and very stable and secure.

Tom
forkboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vmware works fine on reiser4 here.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, good to know that it works now. I tried it a few months ago, and it didn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: